Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.This is my first post on this fabulous site. I have read that ocing a cpu shortens its life.Is this because of the extra heat,or are there other factors.In other words if i oc my cpu but keep the temps down will it have a normal life expectancy?Also, is there such a thing as running a cpu to cool? One last question.What do you guys think of my oc settings?(see atachment)

·
Overclockiit
3,425 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradMan

Hi everyone.This is my first post on this fabulous site. I have read that ocing a cpu shortens its life.Is this because of the extra heat,or are there other factors.In other words if i oc my cpu but keep the temps down will it have a normal life expectancy?Also, is there such a thing as running a cpu to cool? One last question.What do you guys think of my oc settings?(see atachment)

Nice Overclock, and welcome to the forums, yes overclocking can/will shorten the life of a cpu and heat is the number 1 cause of this,but like you said if you keep things cool you should get a normal lifespan out of it, and as far as can a computer be to cool no cooler is always better, but thats just my 2 cents im sure everyone will have a comment on it

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ive heard that cpus start to run less efficiantly under 30C

but thats just what ive heard..........and ive heard alot

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
When it comes to semiconductors, colder is better because the colder they get the more conductive they become. That's directly related to why sub-ambient and sub-freezing cooling yeilds better overclocking, the colder the core gets, the more efficently it operates at a given voltage and will be able to run faster. Overclocking will shorten the lifespan of your processor, but if you keep things within reason it'll still run for probably 8+ years and if you keep your processor that long, you have other problems to worry about

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradMan

Both heat and voltage can kill a processor. When you say "normal life expectancy", that is a very broad phrase. Current CPU's are designed to operate for 10 years within specified thermal specs. Will you get that much use out of it? Heck no. Does overclocking reduce life of a chip? In a nutshell, yes, it does. In most cases, if temps and voltages are kept at "decent" levels, then the chip would probably last 6-7 years. When you go extreme, that shortens greatly. It all depends on keeping the voltage within reasonable limits, while keeping it cool at the same time.

Can you get a cpu too cold? Theoretically-yes. In all reality-no. If you could get a cpu to absolute zero, then all molecular movement would stop, but we are unable to achieve a temperature that cold. Scientists have come close, but not quite. I believe that an engineer once put a cpu to about 4 Kelvin, and it stopped working, but the equipment needed for that for just outrageous. The most extreme overclockers in the world use either LN2 or triple cascade phase change systems. This is very extreme and they get their processors down to under 100C! For more info on this, click here and here. Sorry to ramble, but I hope that helps!

• Rep+
Reactions: DeathONator

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Both heat and voltage can kill a processor. When you say "normal life expectancy", that is a very broad phrase. Current CPU's are designed to operate for 10 years within specified thermal specs. Will you get that much use out of it? Heck no. Does overclocking reduce life of a chip? In a nutshell, yes, it does. In most cases, if temps and voltages are kept at "decent" levels, then the chip would probably last 6-7 years. When you go extreme, that shortens greatly. It all depends on keeping the voltage within reasonable limits, while keeping it cool at the same time.

Can you get a cpu too cold? Theoretically-yes. In all reality-no. If you could get a cpu to absolute zero, then all molecular movement would stop, but we are unable to achieve a temperature that cold. Scientists have come close, but not quite. I believe that an engineer once put a cpu to about 4 Kelvin, and it stopped working, but the equipment needed for that for just outrageous. The most extreme overclockers in the world use either LN2 or triple cascade phase change systems. This is very extreme and they get their processors down to under 100C! For more info on this, click here and here. Sorry to ramble, but I hope that helps!

Welcome, I think what Lando meant was - Yes. J/K Lando

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

Welcome, I think what Lando meant was - Yes. J/K Lando

LOL, :swearing: LOL And BTW, Welcome BradMan!

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznchowboy650

Does abit ic7 max3 have that screen shot feature too?

You take a screenshot by hitting the key on your keyboard that says "PrintScreen/SysRq" Then open Paint, and click on edit-->paste. Save as jpeg, and your done.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

what is that program that bradman is using to shoe his oc?

Asus AI booster.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznchowboy650

does abit have a abit ai booster?

Abit has OC guru or something like that. I am not sure about DFI. Be advised though, it is recommended to overclock from bios, and not Windows. It seems to be more stable, and causes less conflict.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Asus AI Booster came on a disk of utilities with my mobo.Lando I have also heard (read guides on this site) it is better to oc in your bios,but I have found Ai Booster to be more stable.When I originally tried to oc in bios it would work for small ocs but when I would try to oc 10% or more my start up screen would come up and say "overclock failed.return to set up and revert settings". So I tried with AI Booster,10% at first which gave me a speed of around 3300 MHz.Seemed stable, ran this setting for about a week with no problems at all.Then about 4 days ago i bumped it up to 15% still stable no problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts