Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking through the overclocking guide by DeathOnator and have gotten stuck at this point. Where in my BIOS do I change my CPU/Memory ration to 1:1 ?

Running the Asus A8N-SLI Premium by the by.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmatic

Been looking through the overclocking guide by DeathOnator and have gotten stuck at this point. Where in my BIOS do I change my CPU/Memory ration to 1:1 ?

Running the Asus A8N-SLI Premium by the by.

Thanks.

I think there's a DRAM setting in that bios and then Memclock with settings of 400 down. 400 is a 1:1 ratio and down from there Eg 333/400=5/6ths etc

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Make sure your ram is set at DDR400 or 200mhz depending on your BIOS. These options are usually in the DRAM or Memory page of the bios and may not be in the same place as the CPU options.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've set my Memory Latency timings @ 2.2.2.6 and the requency to 200MHz from 266MHz.

That what you mean ?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

I've set my Memory Latency timings @ 2.2.2.6 and the requency to 200MHz from 266MHz.

That what you mean ?

Yep, those sound like the right settings

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My computer didnt like those settings, it wouldn't boot. Is there something I am doing wrong here ?

Got my FSB @ 200MHz
CPU Multi @ 8.0
RAM Frequency @ 266MHz
Latencey timings @ 2.2.2.5

Is there something I have missed ?

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
You might have to loosen the timings up. Try 3-3-3-7. How much vcore are you giving your CPU?

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I don't hink your ram can run at [email protected] Try setting the ram to 200 with those timings.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aye, it ran happily @ 200Mhz 2.2.2.5, but isnt the idea to increase my memorys frequency, not decrease it ?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Aye, it ran happily @ 200Mhz 2.2.2.5, but isnt the idea to increase my memorys frequency, not decrease it ?

You're only trying to find the CPU's max value at this point, the Ram comes later.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Now im lost, according to the guide im looking for the max RAM FSB.
To find the CPU's max you need to lower the Ram speed well below spec to make sure it's not the limiting factor in the overclock (ie causing instability).
Once the CPUs max has been found, bring the Ram speed back up to normal running speed and then try to increase this as much as possible without causing instability.
You can also try increasing the latency of the Ram to see if this gets you a faster overall speed on your ram, but in general having tight timings on an A64 yields the best results.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if i lower my timings to 2.2.2.5 @ 200MHz what do I do to check my max CPU speed with regards to my FSB and multiplier ?

Thanks for the help by the by.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

So if i lower my timings to 2.2.2.5 @ 200MHz what do I do to check my max CPU speed with regards to my FSB and multiplier ?

Thanks for the help by the by.
You want to increase your timings really (3-3-3-8) and use another divider Eg. 100. Then raise the HTT until the PC can't boot, then up the vcore to the next notch and keep doing this until you can't get any further. Prob best not to raise the vcore above 1.65v, but keep as low as possible, and always ensure your temps don't go above 50-55C max. When you can run OCCT (30 mins) or Prime95 for 8+ hours you know that your CPU is stable. If it's unstable, back your HTT down slightly or raise vcore, as appropriate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Err, whats 'HTT' ?

Sorry for being such a n00b here, being building my own comps for a while just never overclocked before.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Err, whats 'HTT' ?

Sorry for being such a n00b here, being building my own comps for a while just never overclocked before.
That's what you increase to increase the CPU's and Ram's speed. Starts at 200Mhz and works upwards in 1Mhz intervals.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

On my mobo its known as the CPU frequency, that the same thing ?
Yep, that sounds familiar. If you haven't already, change your HT Multiplier. This should be near CPU Freq and currently set at 5. This multiplied by the CPU Frequency should be kept below 1000Mhz to keep the system stable. Therefore, drop to 4 up until 250Mhz and then 3 above this value.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So what am I doing here then ?

Keep the clock speed below 1Ghz by increasing the CPU Frequency and lowering the CPU multiplier ?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

So what am I doing here then ?

Keep the clock speed below 1Ghz by increasing the CPU Frequency and lowering the CPU multiplier ?
Checking the Motherboard's max HTT value

1 - 20 of 25 Posts