Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm looking for suggestions on a new base system. I am in need of a different case and I'd rather put together a new base system and move my GPUs and M.2 drives. Case will be an X5, GPUs are SLI Waterforce AIO 1080ti. Also moving over two Samsung 950 EVO pros.

I am happy with my current setup, with exception for the case and fan setup. There's just not enough real estate in this 570x for all the AIO rads I have. I will mostly use this for gaming, with some 4k video and image editing.

Budget is sub $1200.

I prefer Intel, but am open to AMD if the change is for the better.

I'd prefer to have enough Pcie lanes for max performance, as I do run benchmarks from time to time.

Stability and reliability is also vert important. Even with my 7700k at 5.1ghz and my GPUs at 1987mhz @.993, I never have issues.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,755 Posts
You need more than 16GB?

Could get an i9 7900X and an MSI Raider for $1100 and reuse your current RAM. Drop down to an i7 7820X if you need to fit more RAM in your budget.

There aren't many upgrade paths for a 5.1Ghz 7700K other than MOAR KOARS.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post

You need more than 16GB?

Could get an i9 7900X and an MSI Raider for $1100 and reuse your current RAM. Drop down to an i7 7820X if you need to fit more RAM in your budget.

There aren't many upgrade paths for a 5.1Ghz 7700K other than MOAR KOARS.
16gb has always been enough. I'd rather not sidegrade. If I should wait a bit, I can. I've been digging around and don't see anything that is really worth sticking it out for.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,755 Posts
Single core performance would be the same assuming you can also clock the 7900X/7820X to 5.1Ghz, so if it's just for gaming, I'd just stick with what you have. Very few games take advantage of more than 4 cores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts