Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I recenetly updated my BIOS to the latest version of my ASUS Maximus V Gene and I'm not sure if it started happening right when that happened (last week) or not but I cant change my cpu clocks at all, or anything in the bios. its stuck at some unstabled overclock @ 4500MHz. Whether I try to restore optimized defaults, or overclock to 4.8... when I log into windows and start testing it remains at this 4500MHz clock... Any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Did you try to clear CMOS after the update? Did you flash the BIOS at stock settings?

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I did either of those. I think my overclock was at 4500MHz when I flashed it now that you mention it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I don't know much about Intel,but in general if you flash the BIOS with an OCed setting,the BIOS percieves the setting as stock. Try Clearing CMOS.

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do I clear the CMOS?

·
Registered
983 Posts
You can also remove the battery. It is located between the 2 PCI-express slots. Remove it for 20 seconds, and then put it back in. Wait for 5 min, and then fire it up. Cheers.

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a CMOS switch on the back I/O of the motherboard.
1.) Press down the "clr CMOS" switch on the back I/O.
2.) Hold down the < Del > key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

This is all I have to do? Should the PC be turned off when I press the "clr CMOS" button on the back? I don't have to hold it down for like 10 seconds or something?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Turn PC off,press the button for say 10-20 seconds (just a precaution,that's just how I do it),and restart. Del to enter BIOS. Keep me posted.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
MSI
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPDrop View Post

There is a CMOS switch on the back I/O of the motherboard.
1.) Press down the "clr CMOS" switch on the back I/O.
2.) Hold down the < Del > key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

This is all I have to do? Should the PC be turned off when I press the "clr CMOS" button on the back? I don't have to hold it down for like 10 seconds or something?
When you do a CLEAR CMOS you must turn OFF your PC first, and unplug PSU cable from the socket wall.
For best result : after PC turned OFF, take out mainboard battery for 3 - 5 minutes then take it back to mainboard but wait 1 minute before turn ON your PC. Done.

• Rep+
Reactions: iPDrop

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoroy View Post

When you do a CLEAR CMOS you must turn OFF your PC first, and unplug PSU cable from the socket wall.
For best result : after PC turned OFF, take out mainboard battery for 3 - 5 minutes then take it back to mainboard but wait 1 minute before turn ON your PC. Done.
Why should we unplug the PSU? ( I don't refute your advise or knowledge,I just hear it for the first time.)
thumb.gif

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so, step-by-step process to clear my CMOS is:

1.) Turn PC off and remove power cord from wall.
2.) Remove battery from my motherboard.
3.) Wait 3-5 minutes.
4.) Insert battery in motherboard.
5.) Wait 1 minute.
6.) Turn on PC.

That's it? Thats all I have to do?

• Rep+
Reactions: Grmadness

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay will try this and report back, thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
My Sabertooth Z77 keeps doing that.

My way of reproducing the issue would happen when my PC would crash with an unstable overclock. I would go back into bios to change the voltages / multiplier / whatever and the previous settings which it crashed on would stay stuck in there.

Unfortunately, clearing CMOS was the only solution. This is making overclocking a huge pain in the ass to see what my max would be.

Let me know if your issue is similar. I am curious.

Thanks.

EDIT: There is also a jumper on your motherboard to clear CMOS. This doesn't require removing the battery.

Here is the guide someone already posted: http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=MAXIMUS%20V%20GENE&s=39&hashedid=Eh8FqqcmVLDbZLyx&os=&no=1723

·
Registered
MSI
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmadness View Post

Why should we unplug the PSU? ( I don't refute your advise or knowledge,I just hear it for the first time.)
thumb.gif
Then you should see this : >>How to clear CMOS by MSI HQ Forum<<
Sorry I meant you can turn OFF PSU or unplugged the PSU cable. But sometimes for better result needs to unplugged the cord.

Quote:

Okay so, step-by-step process to clear my CMOS is:

1.) Turn PC off and remove power cord from wall.
2.) Remove battery from my motherboard.
3.) Wait 3-5 minutes.
4.) Insert battery in motherboard.
5.) Wait 1 minute.
6.) Turn on PC.

That's it? Thats all I have to do?
Yup that is
smile.gif

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just cleared CMOS but now windows wont load. It keeps telling me "Missing Operating System"

I had my windows on 2 SSD's in RAID 0. After I cleared the CMOS I reset SATA Configuration to RAID Mode, and I enabled both sata ports with the SSD's in them, but still I get this message?

I'm afraid this means I have to reformat my ssd's and reset up raid 0??

·
Registered
MSI
1,536 Posts
Quote:

I just cleared CMOS but now windows wont load. It keeps telling me "Missing Operating System"

I had my windows on 2 SSD's in RAID 0. After I cleared the CMOS I reset SATA Configuration to RAID Mode, and I enabled both sata ports with the SSD's in them, but still I get this message?
I think you need to set your SSD like previous setting in BIOS. I don't know about RAID mode cause I only have 1 HDD
biggrin.gif

If the setting is correct it will be no problem booting to windows.
Btw don't forget after CLEAR CMOS, enter BIOS first and load optimal setting or just press F6 on keyboard then save it (F10).

• Rep+
Reactions: iPDrop

·
Registered
983 Posts
Go to the BIOS page with your SSD's. Set the SSD's as primary boot selection. Or set CD/DVD as primary and boot from the Win DVD.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts