Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend with a 3.4GHz P4 (not E/EE thank goodness) who was having mobo probs...and he went to take his P4 out and a pin broke off of it (ouch)

Anyway, I do any of you know some ways or places that can fix that freakin pin? I think it's too small for anybody's soldering skills to fix.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I broke a pin once... and I just got some solid band really high gauge wire, cut a litle sliver, removed the insulation and stuck it in the socket. To my suprise, it worked flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I broke a pin once... and I just got some solid band really high gauge wire, cut a litle sliver, removed the insulation and stuck it in the socket. To my suprise, it worked flawlessly.

I was just about to suggest the copper wire trick.

It wont hurt to try... But if it doesnt work, the cpu is history.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well, seeing as how CPU pins are often 24k gold plated tin, I'm sure they're made of that for a reason and wouldn't want to use the copper for too long (oxidation and other things
) but it could hold you over until you figure out what to do

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Well, seeing as how CPU pins are often 24k gold plated tin, I'm sure they're made of that for a reason and wouldn't want to use the copper for too long (oxidation and other things
) but it could hold you over until you figure out what to do

Maybe get a gold earing, cut the back part off, and do the same thing you did with the copper trick??? It could work...

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well, on the same CPU, I eventually broke down, pulled an old Pentium Pro from the closet, clipped off one of its pins and used that, which also worked flawlessly

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
There is a company that does cpu pin repair. Hmm, I cant seem to find the site right now. I will look some more.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
My 3.2E is currently s477.
I broke a pin off about 4 months ago, have never tried to fix it nor do the wire trick, and have never had any problems with it.
I know of at least 3 or 4 other enthusiasts that have broken pins, never done anything about it, and never had any problems either.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

I broke a pin off about 4 months ago, have never tried to fix it nor do the wire trick, and have never had any problems with it.
I know of at least 3 or 4 other enthusiasts that have broken pins, never done anything about it, and never had any problems either.

Haha S477 P4.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

Makes you wonder what those extra pins are for....i wonder if removing a few will help get a better OC???

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Man... Re-attaching pins??? You lot are fearless. Id say damn near willing to try anything once. I would never even think to do that. Not saying that it shouldnt be done, but Id be too scared to do something like that. I wouldnt want a damaged mobo and a damaged CPU.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He tried booting it...it looks like it's going to boot then the RAM activity LEDs die down to nothing. He's RMA'd his mobo once...he blew something again he's RMAing now...so I guess it's etiher try it or eBay time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.