Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
look at the letters in red and please tell me what it means......

Intel Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor Model

64 bit Support: No
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Threading Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 12KB+16KB
L2 Cache: 1MB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Operating Frequency: 3.2GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Pentium 4
Voltage: 1.25-1.525V

i see some that say that and some that say 65nm and some that say 0.13 µm
or something

in laymans terms whats this mean and which is better????

i have a P4 2.6 which is 0.13 µm and i can get my hands on a P4 3.2 that says 90nm. should i do it??

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
that is th physical size of the microchip...90 nanometer i think it is.. is the standard used now, but we are moving into the 65nm chips, they run cooler and use less power to achieve a givin performance level... 65nm seems to be the future size... but yrs down the road we will probably see like 25nm then 10... but i have no proof of that..lol

·
Banned
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

that is th physical size of the microchip...90 nanometer i think it is.. is the standard used now, but we are moving into the 65nm chips, they run cooler and use less power to achieve a givin performance level... 65nm seems to be the future size... but yrs down the road we will probably see like 25nm then 10... but i have no proof of that..lol

so whats the 0.13 µm mean? is that better than the 90nm or is 90nm better?

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
that i dont know honestly,but i think that is physical size aswell, 0.13 micron, and amd uses that one while intel uses the 90nm and 65nm, have you tried to google it and see what it is?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryman31

That is 130nm... a little slower process type, the northwood core is based off of .13um. I would choose the 90nm over the .13um, but it's hard to compare the two..

and the .90nm 65nm ect has to do with the process type.. not the actual size of the processor. But yes, you are corret about the temps..

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
0.13 µm is 130 nanometers. it's larger than 90nm chips, so it takes more power to run them.

in very very simple terms, the smaller the size, the more parts they can pack in there, which gives capabilities for more features, more memory, etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

That is the last gen processors.130nm then to 90nm now then to 65nm for the next generation.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

i have a P4 2.6 which is 0.13 µm and i can get my hands on a P4 3.2 that says 90nm. should i do it??

Yes, I would upgrade to the 3.2 from your 2.6. You will see a large preformance jump and will probably OC better than your 2.6. 4GHz will be in range with that processor if you keep the temps down.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
ok well i was wrong and i stand corrected... thanks guys...

im still tryin to learn all this stuff myself..

·
Banned
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

Yes, I would upgrade to the 3.2 from your 2.6. You will see a large preformance jump and will probably OC better than your 2.6. 4GHz will be in range with that processor if you keep the temps down.

hopefully temps wont be a problem, i have 7 case fans, and the zalman cpu cooler.......i may have to get this processor hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

hopefully temps wont be a problem, i have 7 case fans, and the zalman cpu cooler.......i may have to get this processor hmmmmm

Yea, I do recommend you get a new processor, everything in your rig looks sweet.. Taeric, a moderator has a very similar setup as you (except with a 3.2E we were talking about, and a xp-120) and he reached ~3.9Ghz stable. You should hit similar results, though you may need a devider with that memory.

·
Banned
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

Yea, I do recommend you get a new processor, everything in your rig looks sweet.. Taeric, a moderator has a very similar setup as you (except with a 3.2E we were talking about, and a xp-120) and he reached ~3.9Ghz stable. You should hit similar results, though you may need a devider with that memory.

what do you mean a devider for my memory?

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

but yrs down the road we will probably see like 25nm then 10... but i have no proof of that..lol

Well, they've already unveiled the 45nm (not for purchase, but they have made them for testing)

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper

Well, they've already unveiled the 45nm (not for purchase, but they have made them for testing)

ya well ima hop in my time machin and go grab a pentium 7, 5nm processor!!! haha benchmarking w/ 20Ghz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts