Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be able to pass 8.5 hours at the same voltage & configuration, now I can't even pass 3 hours in Linx, I have tried several times and it stops at 3 hours. I even raised voltage and QPI a little, still a no go.

I am thinking maybe my motherboard is unstable/degrading?? I am gonna try getting 4Ghz @ 22x182 instead of a 21 multiplier so it will be easier on my mobo.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hm. Maybe your motherboard can't take the temps. What kind of temps do you get while running Linx? If it's over 95, then I would take the OC down a little bit or add a fan near the CPU.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Temps were never over 82C in Linx, after raising voltage a little, they never went over 84C.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeYo
View Post

That's weird. Your voltages don't look at all unreasonable. Are you sure it simply wasn't colder in your room when you ran Linx previously?

No temps are about the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, my first post here.

I was just wondering why on earth you would need 3hrs, much less 8.5hrs LinX?
20 passes is plenty, then run some Blend, HyperPI, and game on it. It may be failing now because of the many hours of abuse you put it through running waaaay to much LinX.

I think it was made to be a faster option to test stability vs the 12-24hrs long blend runs, so you can get a good idea if the system is stable and save a lot of time. That is probably why the suggested number most go by is 20 passes not 500.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Linx is a pretty good stability tester, heck it usually does for me in 3 hours what prime does in 8 hours, but you need to run it for more than just an hour of linx.

If your CPU is really completely stable it will not fail at Linx, maybe going past 12 hours of Linx is a little worthless, because it is unlikely you will find it unstable past that long of a time. But I have had overclocks that I thought were stable after a few hours of prime BSOD on me during normal gaming.

If I was to go by such low standards of calling it stable after only 20 passes, it is likely that I could go as high as maybe 4.4Ghz on this voltage, but that wouldn't make it stable.

Also, I have heard that having an unstable CPU can shorten the life of it as well, there is no harm in running it for 8 hours of Linx, at least when temps stay good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1keith1 View Post
Well Linx is a pretty good stability tester, heck it usually does for me in 3 hours what prime does in 8 hours, but you need to run it for more than just an hour of linx.

If your CPU is really completely stable it will not fail at Linx, maybe going past 12 hours of Linx is a little worthless, because it is unlikely you will find it unstable past that long of a time. But I have had overclocks that I thought were stable after a few hours of prime BSOD on me during normal gaming.

If I was to go by such low standards of calling it stable after only 20 passes, it is likely that I could go as high as maybe 4.4Ghz on this voltage, but that wouldn't make it stable.

Also, I have heard that having an unstable CPU can shorten the life of it as well, there is no harm in running it for 8 hours of Linx, at least when temps stay good.
You have a much beter chance of CPU degradation doing extremely long LinX runs than you would running what you would consider an "unstable" oc.

How many bsod's have you had trying to get stable at 8hrs linx? What is the worst thing that could happen if your PC by some chance was to freeze up or bsod? If you need a 100% guarantee that it will never crash, run it a stock. There is no such thing as 100% stable when overclocking, always a chance that something could cause it to become unstable.

I spent years not running the PC at a given speed because a program failed after 10-12hrs and for what? If it benches, does not crash in any of the games I play, or shows no signs of instability in my daily use, that is plenty stable for me. I normally ran 20 passes LinX, 8-12hrs blend, or on my i7 rig when using 6gb do a custom blend run testing more mem, run HyperPI, and game on it for many hours. Eventually being extremely anal about stability got old, now i just enjoy my rig.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Quote:

OC Nub really knows what hes talkin bout if its the same one from xtremesystems.

such "low standards", lol...thats harsh man, but I get where u are coming from, the term "stability" is such a subjective matter I think, each person chooses what they want to call stable.

Its my opinion though, and from what Ive read from round the forums that very long runs of LinX could degrade the CPU at a higher rate...but who knows for sure

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by OC Nub View Post
You have a much beter chance of CPU degradation doing extremely long LinX runs than you would running what you would consider an "unstable" oc.

How many bsod's have you had trying to get stable at 8hrs linx? What is the worst thing that could happen if your PC by some chance was to freeze up or bsod? If you need a 100% guarantee that it will never crash, run it a stock. There is no such thing as 100% stable when overclocking, always a chance that something could cause it to become unstable.

I spent years not running the PC at a given speed because a program failed after 10-12hrs and for what? If it benches, does not crash in any of the games I play, or shows no signs of instability in my daily use, that is plenty stable for me. I normally ran 20 passes LinX, 8-12hrs blend, or on my i7 rig when using 6gb do a custom blend run testing more mem, run HyperPI, and game on it for many hours. Eventually being extremely anal about stability got old, now i just enjoy my rig.
A cpu can be had stable at something other than stock settings, running Linx for a long period again does not degrade a CPU, they are made for running at 100% usage all the time anyways.

Just because it doesn't crash during 30 minutes of gaming the first time you try it, doesn't mean it won't the next time you game/otherusage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisizbrian View Post
running an "unstable OC" has no effect on cpu life. BSOD is there to prevent damage to your cpu/components.
Okay, it was probably just a rumor then that I had heard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
OC Nub really knows what hes talkin bout if its the same one from xtremesystems.

such "low standards", lol...thats harsh man, but I get where u are coming from, the term "stability" is such a subjective matter I think, each person chooses what they want to call stable.

Its my opinion though, and from what Ive read from round the forums that very long runs of LinX could degrade the CPU at a higher rate...but who knows for sure
Hey Viper, thought I would check out the forums here.

I wasnt trying to offend or insult anyone here, sorry if it came across that way, especially with my first post.

I dont think my standards for stability are "low" lol. I have many long Blend and LinX run posted over at XS, and for years was very strict with what I would ever run or call stable. Eventually I just got tired of all the testing and countless hours watching so may Lucas Lehmer iterations I was ready to puke. So recently I settled for just doing a short LinX run, some HyperPI, Wprime, and whatever else I had installed that didnt take to long, and countless hours of BC2 which BTW is much more fun than LinX or Blend. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders doing this, and have enjoyed my PC more than I ever have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Just because it doesn't crash during 30 minutes of gaming the first time you try it, doesn't mean it won't the next time you game/otherusage.
I have about 130hrs (or however many it took to get from rank0 to rank32) of BC2 running at 4.3ghz on my i7 920, without a hickup.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Stability is a term thrown around here just like bottlenecking...
stability is what you think you want to run the OC at...
if you want it to be super stable like some of the people here that run their cpu's 100% 24/7 go for like 100+ linx and 48 hours of Prime.
Just go for how long as you think you can to keep your mind at ease.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
First time i oced the sig rig with raising the FSB i never ran prime or any benchmark tool i just left it like that for 6 months and had no problems till the GFX needed new PSU

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
LinX can fail for any reason under the sun. There is really no way to pinpoint why it failed.

I would run memtest86+ real quick and see if it finds any errors. It could be your memory is bad.

·
Iconoclast
30,427 Posts
I've had blatantly unstable systems that could pass 20 runs of LinX and still corrupt real data, or BSOD in real programs due to a CPU/memory instability.

20 runs of LinX is a complete joke for anyone who is serious about stability.

I do two 500 loop runs consecutively. Takes about 60 hours total on my system. The second run is also in combination with a variety of other tests (try a few hours of multi-GPU furmark and seven threads of LinX at the same time).

LinX is a nice program, and finds errors faster than most stress tests, but some serious problems can be exceedingly elusive. There have been times where LinX was failing, quite regularly, between 300 and 400 passes, for me. The problem that was causing this was causing very rare, but very frustrating intermittent problems with other programs. Because of LinX I was able to track the problem down in a week, instead of a year. If I had limited myself to 20 passes, or 50 passes, or 100 passes, I never would have identified the problem and would be considerably less confident in the stability of my setup.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless
View Post

20 runs of LinX is a complete joke for anyone who is serious about stability.
I do two 500 loop runs consecutively. Takes about 60 hours total on my system. The second run is also in combination with a variety of other tests (try a few hours of multi-GPU furmark and seven threads of LinX at the same time).

All I can do is LOL, darn I guess Im just not serious enough about "stability"...IDK maybe someday, Ill get wise and throw in a quadruple 100hour LinX session combined with 5 instances of Furmark coupled with 10 threads of P95 small FFT

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Viper
View Post

All I can do is LOL, darn I guess Im just not serious enough about "stability"...IDK maybe someday, Ill get wise and throw in a quadruple 100hour LinX session combined with 5 instances of Furmark coupled with 10 threads of P95 small FFT

Laugh all you want, he's right. You're either stable or you're not stable. "Stable enough" is like having a race car that's "safe enough." The OC is fine as long as you don't do anything too strenuous and the race car is safe as long as you don't lose control.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts