Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question from an OC newb.

Just OCed my Q9650 to 3.6ghz. Ran 3DMark Vantage and my CPU score went from 18435, stock 3ghz, to 21100 at 3.6ghz. I was running two 285 gtx's for the first test with an 8600 gt in there as a physx card.

Same OC settings of 3.6ghz, no physx card, and I add a 3rd 285 GTX for 3way sli and my CPU score dropped to 14480.

All I can think is that the GPU's just bogged down the CPU. Too much going on. Any other ideas what would cause such a large drop?

Graphics score was 20014 and 24984 respectively for the two tests with an overall score of 20275 and 21148, pre and post OC.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
819 Posts
yea not enough voltage to teh cpu

·
Banned
3,183 Posts
format and reinstall os. also your oc is low for your chip, upgrade your cpu cooler and oc like there's no tomorrow.

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Could it be it takes some processing power to interface between the cards? I could see that...especially with the terrible Tri-SLI drivers of today. I don't know though other than that.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zomgiwin View Post
your cpu is probably doing more because of no dedi-physx
lol just what i was thinking

·
PC Evangelist
47,741 Posts
Which benchmark are u taking about? If its vantage then its because you had the 8600GT doing what the CPU should have done so getting u a better score.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This was so crazy I had to share. I hope someone else tries this and reports if you have the same results.

I ran Vantage with Physx disabled in the nVidia control panel (go into control panel to the Set SLI and physX config tab) twice. Both times my CPU scores were 14428 and 14318. Ran it twice with Physx enabled and my CPU score jumped to 43637 and 44217.

I had to run it twice because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. What an increase!

This was without a card as a physics card but I am going to add the 8600 gt back and rerun both tests to see how it affects the score.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I had the same problem @ home while folding 3 way sli is just a bit much for cpu intensive things even more so without the dedicated GPU, i took out the 3rd card put it in another rig and my cpu score went back up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts