Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before my temps where idle ~40 and load ~55, but now the next day,(i turned computer off), my idle is at 43 and when i'm running 100% of my cpu in task manager its about 58. that seems a lot different to me. any suggestions on cpu better cooling? In using the stock hs/fan that came with the cpu right now and i put some Arctic Silver 5 on it. I heard in a post that a certain zelman was good but i don't know if i want to buy from the internet. Maybe something that they might have in stock at fry's?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
why not the internet man?its the cheapest,but u will have to wait about a week for it...

but anyways, the zalman 7700 and 9500 are good ones, but the best is a thermaltake Big Typhoon, also look at the thermaright xp-90 or xp-120,but with the thermalrights u will have to buy a seperate fan.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
oh, when did u put the AS5 on the cpu? and when u did it did u use just a very small BB sized dab in the middle and let the heatsink spred it out when u put it on?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Is your room temp a lot hotter today than yesterday? And the CNPS9500 is probably the Zalman you were hearing about. The Tt Big Typhoon is another good one for a litttle less money, and they might have in stock at Fry's. For around $40 you can get the Scythe Ninja which is another really nice heatsink, but I'm not sure if they will have it at Fry's.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
One also needs to take into account that AS5+ needs time to cure. You should run your system daily and shut it down nightly for a couple of weeks to allow the thermal paste to "seat" and "cure".

Personally I would get a better heatsink/fan assembly anyway as the 630 certainly can use it. Others have stated the best already so I will not repeat their good advice.

R

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Yes, AS5 needs 200 hours at operating temp to cure. You need to break up these hours with time where the system is shut down and cooled to room tempeture.

I just installed a Zalman 9500 LED on my system (Everyone here loves the Typhoon, but it just doesn't have any style
) and it dropped my temps 14 degrees idle and 12 degrees load, and that's with the heat transfer grease that came with it (I think my AS5 is bad, need to buy a new tube). I'm gonna let it burn in for a couple weeks, then when I order some more RAM and a new router (LinkSys one died after 9 months, ***?) I'll get a new tube of AS5 and benchmark it's affect.

The LED is a little weak on it, not as bright as I would have liked, but it does look cool and it works great.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
You can get a big typhoon at a local compUSA if you have one. They work great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts