Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running the Intel Xeon W3520 in my sig rig at the default speed of 2.66GHz.
All OC settings were turned off and reset to normal. HT and turbo boost is set to off in BIOS.

When I load the CPU to maximum with Everest' Stability Test, the VCPU is at 1.05V

At load, the CPU temp and core temps are 8 degrees apart. The CPU temp is reported at 43 Celsius, while the cores variate slightly between 50 to 52 Celsius.

I have the Corsair H50, ambient temps are below 30 degrees and I'm getting this. Turning up the fan speeds affects the temps by only one degree. And I'm talking about turning the 0.75A AVC fan on the radiator from the lowest possible 900RPM to its max speed of around 3000RPM.

I know my mounting is good, why am I getting such temps?
Can it be possible that at the factory, the IHS wasn't seated well, thus causing such a difference?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
The CPU temp is almost like the ambient temp. It's cooler because it's not the cores. But the core temp is warmer just because it really is at the cores. So, the CPU temp is something that I will say you can ignore.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I get those temps.
With my current ambient temp, and considering that my cooler's a H50, has a big-ass fan on the radiator and that I'm not even OC-ing it, is that a good temp?
I'd like to bring it to 3GHz, or maybe 3.2, but I don't wanna get 90 celsius load temps.
The other time I selected the Core i7 Extreme profile in OC, it set everything to auto and I got 90 Celsius.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Is there any reason why you think the core temperatures should be lower than 50-52C?

Xeon W3520 is not as popular as i7 920 and so it is harder to find data in the net. If we can use i7 920 at 2.66GHz as a 'guideline', much more data is available. One such review is listed below. That i7 920 (at stock 2.66GHz with HT and Turbo off...cannot find the CPU voltage but as it is a C0, its voltage is likely higher than your 1.05v) was cooled by a custom water cooling kit and its load temperature is 51C (ambient 21C).

So, it seems that your temperatures is fairly proper.

Eg
http://www.pcshoptalk.com/showthread...el-Core-i7-920

1 - 5 of 5 Posts