Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tech Support
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow water coolers!

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. My CPU is operating much too high for the amount of cooling it's receiving. The GPU stays under 42C, even at 80F ambient. I'm looking for any input as to what is going on here.

System specs:

i7-5820k @ 3.8GHz 1.04V
Gigabyte G1 970 @ stock

CPU EK-Supremacy Nickle block
GPU EK WF3 full coverage block

XSPC EX360 35.5mm crossflow radiator
Nemesis LX-240 48mm radiator

Swiftech MCP-655 variable pump @ max
EK-D5 X-Res 140 top

4x Corsair PWM 1450rpm 120mm on LX-240
3x Cougar Vortex 1500rpm 120mm on EX360

Ambient temperatures are always 70F +/- 5F.

Here are the idle temps at 70F

Here are temps after a few runs of IBT on high

(Temp readings are from AIDA64 Extreme and are acturate)

This is only at 1.04V! I've had it at 4.2GHz 1.2V (somewhere around there) and it was getting to 70C on the cores.
I've re-seated the CPU block a couple times with IC Diamond and AS5.

The loop goes: Pump > LX-240 > CPU > GPU > EX360

I have the EX360 sitting outside the case

Here's where it's sitting

I've heard of people reaching higher frequencies and voltages with air alone.

I look forward to hearing input on this!

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Electrical / Thermal parameters
Maximum operating temperature ? 66.8°C

You have a long way to go to get to 70°C

You really want to know what Delta T is. That's the difference between the ambient air entering the rad(s) and the water temp. That tell you how efficient your cooling is.

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
Did you forget to peel the plastic off the underside of the CPU block?
rolleyes.gif

Try remounting it again just for giggles. Make sure your getting a good amount of downforce on the CPU.

I've used the G34 supremacy block myself and I was not impressed.

·
Tech Support
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had this block for a couple years and it's been amazing. My 4820k would stay under 65C at 4.8GHz 1.384V when it was the only block in the loop. It's never been an issue until now.

And the thing is under a damn good amount of pressure lol. EK 2011 mounting hardware is pretty solid.

Could it be that the pump is too weak? It's just a 655 for two large rads and two blocks...

Is there not enough water in the reservoir? I only have the tiny reservoir that's on my pump top...

And the water temp seems to be around 85F from my IR thermometer under load with ambient at 70F.

·
Tech Support
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm stumped then lol

It just doesn't seem right that I'd hit 70C at 1.2V with this setup.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Those fans are pretty weak. Delta T will tell you what's going on.

·
Tech Support
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Cougars are fairly old and don't put out anywhere near the same static pressure that the Corsairs do. The thing is though, the rad that the Cougars are on is located outside the case where that shouldn't matter too much.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore888 View Post

The Cougars are fairly old and don't put out anywhere near the same static pressure that the Corsairs do. The thing is though, the rad that the Cougars are on is located outside the case where that shouldn't matter too much.
Old, OLD? Old has nothing to do with CFM. And the way you have those fans and rad mounted it is inside the case for all intents and purposes.

·
Tech Support
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wrong rad you're looking at their. It's to the left of the case. The fans are about 4 years old. The bearings started to grind a year ago, so they only sit at 1K rpm for sanity's sake. I can set them to 1.5K rpm and it drops temp by 1-2C.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts