Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running a qx6700 at stock and temp is 70 degrees celsius at idle and then starts to rise to 82 and more then computer crashes in bios. Any ideas as to why it's overheating so quickly?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I would make sure the following:

1) The heatsink is properly seated and fan is running.
2) using a good thermal compound.
3) It's running at stock voltages or lower.
4) You aren't running an overclock because of bad automatic bios settings

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fan is definitely running, but it's a stock intel heatsink, my question is, this fan came with a q9550 and I'm using it on a qx6700, would that actually matter?

The auto overclock settings in the asus bios are not turned on, i set it to manual and the voltages should also be manual.

The guy who mounted the chip for me might have just botched it and not seated it properly or whatever.

It's just weird that at one point it was running at about 62 degrees idle for a few weeks and now it just heats up and crashes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or just the heat sink? If so I have to do the whole thermal paste thing, etc. ?

Or could it possibly just be seated wrong and I can simply take it off and re-attach it and see what that does?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjshabadoo View Post
Or just the heat sink? If so I have to do the whole thermal paste thing, etc. ?

Or could it possibly just be seated wrong and I can simply take it off and re-attach it and see what that does?
If you're going to take it off you might as well clean it, apply a drop of paste and reseat it. Do it right once and not question it in the future.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i finally got to the computer, I noticed the heatsink was not seated properly so i took it off and swapped out the processor with the q9550 and then mounted it properly. Running about 60 degrees idle. I'm hoping that when the paste cures it will go down a couple more degrees, but it's much better as it is.

Thanks again.

D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts