Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
YouCanTellCauseTheWayItIs
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a P4 3.0GHz LGA 775 (unsure of what core), and I'm not sure if I'm running it to hot. When i overclock it at 3.3GHz the temp goes up to 70 degrees C. and when i've got it set at stock setting it runs around 40 deg. C. Is this too hot? I'm using aircooling (Thermaltake Blue Orb 2).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
ok...as far as i have known the 775 should be running at lower temps....if i remember well 55°C is usual operating....but i am thinking that at oc the temp has risen and frankly i dont think that thermaltake orb is a good choice for a heat sink...if u r looking for really good oc then u better upgrade to a better heatsink like Big typhoon or water cooling and big water cooling from thermaltake is good for that...

another point if ur temps start to rise in the seventies for intel the only thing that will happen especially with the 775 which has thermal throttling is the system will slow down but otherwise u r not yet in the cpu frying zone...

btw, ur cpu and mine only differ in terms of 32 and 64 bit processing and i am guessing ur cpu could oc a lot more than that....

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've got the ABIT AS-8 mobo which comes with a program that i can hit a button and it automaticly overclocks my cpu. and when i was overclocking it i had iTunes visualizer turned out just to see where the temp went. and that's when it went shooting up and stayed around 70c. and i just spent $50 on the blue orb about a month ago so i don't plan on getting any new cool for a while. i would like to go with water cooling in the future though.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
well, if you're hitting 70C at only 3.3Ghz with that blue orb, i might suspect that it isn't seated very well. try taking it off and cleaning it, and then put it back on and make sure it's secure, and see if anything changes...

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobuk

well, if you're hitting 70C at only 3.3Ghz with that blue orb, i might suspect that it isn't seated very well. try taking it off and cleaning it, and then put it back on and make sure it's secure, and see if anything changes...

Well, i geuss that's a start. I'll give that a try. and now that i think of it. i might not even have any thermal paste on my cpu
i took it to a shop to get checked out cause i thought something was wrong with the cpu ( wasn't that at all) and i don't thin any thermal paste wsa put on. I've got some so i can take care of that too. would thermal paste help much? from what i know mabey just a few degrees.

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as what kind of paste i've got, it's a silver thermal compound

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrixMII300

...also the technique and amount u apply....

and suggestions on techniques and how much i should apply?

·
Registered
571 Posts
how do you check you CPU temp???
is there some software i can use because i cant find anything in my stock system thatll tell me other than the BIOS

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Download "Everest Home Edition" It gives you great detail on your system

1 - 13 of 13 Posts