Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have had some problems with cpu being way to hot (98c at max...) So i changed out my old crappy thermal paste and used some Noctua nt-h1, but it's still running pretty hot. Someone said it takes around 2-3 days before the thermal paste will work it's fullest, but at the package it says it will work great right from the start ._.
I got a intel I7-2700K, not overclocked and no unthreaded cores. I also use stock fan/heatsink, and got a old crappy case with no working fans and no side panel. -.-
(Yes i am going to change case and do a full upgrade soon)

I used a pea sized dot, and just placed the heatsink on and closed those satanistic plugs on each side of the heatsink.
Will it take some days before it will work better, or have i done something wrong ._.? any help?

I am sorry, kinda new to cpu's
tongue.gif

·
Registered
824 Posts
a good thermal interface material will help transfer heat to the heatsink, but you need good airflow to draw the heat off of the heatsink, or it can't do it's job.

Without good airflow, nothing will help much.

Can you open the case up... and maybe point a table fan (or something) in there if you have one? Just to get some air movement in the case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, used some extra cables now to get the fan closer to the computer, It's poining sidways into the comp. I will see if it works better now. I will be getting a new case soon tho, and most likely water cooling.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murloc1338 View Post

Yeah, used some extra cables now to get the fan closer to the computer, It's poining sidways into the comp. I will see if it works better now. I will be getting a new case soon tho, and most likely water cooling.
Airflow into the case will help.
thumb.gif

Good luck... and let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I would say one 120mm fan at the rear and a 140mm in the top, both working as exhaust. Also a intake fan in the front like 120 or 140mm. That is what I consider minimum for a air cooled system. If you have a hot gpu then a side fan will also work, intake or exhaust depending on the gpu fan.

But really if you are looking into a future of computers I would suggest getting a real case with better ventliation and a better cpu cooler. It will cost a few bucks, but it will be worth it if you are upgrading your system. Your cpu has alot of potential.

·
Premium Member
28,368 Posts
Case needs to flow at least as much intake and exhaust as CPU & GPU fans use or they to recycle their heated exhaust air.. and that heats up case and components. I use 3x 74cfm intakes to supply 1x 130cfm CPU and 2x 44cfm fans. That's 222cfm intake and 218cfm CPU & GPU. Air temp in case is never more than 2-3c above room temp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.