Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been running a Core i7-4930K for many years and it performs quite well. I was idling this morning, I can get the Core i7-4960X or the Xeon E5-4657L v2 on eBay at quite reasonable prices.

I did a quick comparison on:

Intel Core i7-4960X @ 3.60GHz vs Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40GHz vs Intel Xeon E5-4657L v2 @ 2.40GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

As you would expect the 4960X is better but the Xeon outperforms both but loses out on single threads.

I do like to game on my ageing rig, just wanted your thoughts if it's worth jumping to the Xeon, given it has twice the number of real cores, slower but more of them?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
E5 1680 V3
I think you meant to write V2! I agree though, that’s probably the CPU I’d get for X79 at this point.

1680 V2 can overclock, so you get 8 ‘fast’ cores

As far as more slow cores go, I personally wouldn’t do it unless you can actually make use of em. 2.4GHz is really going to hold you back in gaming.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Nice idea, but the motherboard does not list 1680 :-(

GA-X79-UP4 (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
V3 is Haswell EP (so X99 vs the V2 being X79). Just a quick google search seemed to suggest that it could work (I always thought of Xeon support like RAM QVLs, they don't have the time to test all of em). I don't see the 1680v2 being an issue if you board supports the 1660v2.

Completely up to you, but if you can find one on ebay with free returns (and relatively close to you to keep shipping costs down for you and the seller), I think it would be worth the time spent to trying to get it to work.

Your best bet might be posting here: Xeon Hacking and Overclocking X79/X99 [Beyond X58] to see if any of them can help you (been a while since I had any X79 stuff).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
V3 is Haswell EP (so X99 vs the V2 being X79). Just a quick google search seemed to suggest that it could work (I always thought of Xeon support like RAM QVLs, they don't have the time to test all of em). I don't see the 1680v2 being an issue if you board supports the 1660v2.

Completely up to you, but if you can find one on ebay with free returns (and relatively close to you to keep shipping costs down for you and the seller), I think it would be worth the time spent to trying to get it to work.

Your best bet might be posting here: Xeon Hacking and Overclocking X79/X99 [Beyond X58] to see if any of them can help you (been a while since I had any X79 stuff).
TVM. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I've been running a Core i7-4930K for many years and it performs quite well. I was idling this morning, I can get the Core i7-4960X or the Xeon E5-4657L v2 on eBay at quite reasonable prices.

I did a quick comparison on:

Intel Core i7-4960X @ 3.60GHz vs Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40GHz vs Intel Xeon E5-4657L v2 @ 2.40GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

As you would expect the 4960X is better but the Xeon outperforms both but loses out on single threads.

I do like to game on my ageing rig, just wanted your thoughts if it's worth jumping to the Xeon, given it has twice the number of real cores, slower but more of them?
I Used to Run an x79 system, in fact I still have it, As others have said look for a 1680v2, Adding Cpu microcodes to your bios to Support a 1680v2 is fairly easy to do

See Here.. [Tool Guide+News] "UEFI BIOS Updater" (UBU)

Regards

Roy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts