Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an upgrade path from an i9 7900x, just purchased a 3090 FE, and I feel like I'm getting no way near some of the frames and scores I am seeing online. Maybe the CPU is a factor in that, it is currently clocked at 4.6Ghz, I have a 1000 platinum-rated Be Quiet PSU, so it's not that, my ram runs at 3200Mhz.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
10920X uses the same X299 platform, but for the price of that CPU you can get a new 8 core and motherboard and have better single core performance in games. Ex: 10700K, 11700K, 5800X.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is there an upgrade path from an i9 7900x, just purchased a 3090 FE, and I feel like I'm getting no way near some of the frames and scores I am seeing online. Maybe the CPU is a factor in that, it is currently clocked at 4.6Ghz, I have a 1000 platinum-rated Be Quiet PSU, so it's not that, my ram runs at 3200Mhz.
Frames in What. Also what do your ram speed and timings look like, what mesh frequency are you running what resolution?

·
Registered
402 Posts
10920X uses the same X299 platform, but for the price of that CPU you can get a new 8 core and motherboard and have better single core performance in games. Ex: 10700K, 11700K, 5800X.
none of those are really an upgrade tho, with a well tuned 7900x his frames might not nessarly be higher average but his minimum frames should be better in most cases on the 7900k. the 10920x would make no sense imo. he should just go for the 18core as more cache will give him slightly smoother frames in some games. The real issue here is power consumption, now i love my 7820x and my 7980xe but woowee can that 18core chooch at 5ghz lol. (around 600w full load) so for a only gaming rig daily i would opt for a 5800x its really about the best you can do. but again you would need to tune the memory as it is using the same mesh style architecture.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Warzone, for example, I get between 120/135 FPS with every setting on the lowest :0, I was getting near those frames on my 1080TI :/. Other people with the same card, get anywhere from 140 to 170+, something isn't right?

I play at 1440p 165Hz

Attachments

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,423 Posts
Warzone, for example, I get between 103-115 FPS with every setting on the lowest :0, I was getting near those frames on my 1080TI :/. Other people with the same card, get anywhere from 140 to 170+, something isn't right?

I play at 1440p 165Hz
Max out the game. Highest possible settings. What framerate do you get then?

It's no surprise that at lower settings you run into a CPU bottleneck, but you didn't buy the fastest GPU on the market to play at lowest settings.

·
Expert pin bender
2,488 Posts
From my experiments with 7940x on x299 at 1080p I was badly cpu limited on fps/GPU usage. I found when overclocked and tuned ram I could remove most, if not all of the bottleneck.

This required cpu speed to be around 4.9/5.0ghz and ram speeds with tight timings.

This was on a 6900xt and 7940x - with HT off for the high clocks, and ram was various sets but always 3200-3800 and cl15 etc.

I imagine since Nvidia is even more depending on cpu you may be doing worse.

Run an overlay like MSI after burner and the desired game/resolution make sure you have the overlay showing each cpu core usages along with GPU usage.

If you have one core maxed 95%+ then your bound by cpu most likely. GPU usage also may never reach 90+% which is another sign.

Post results here if you want.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From my experiments with 7940x on x299 at 1080p I was badly cpu limited on fps/GPU usage. I found when overclocked and tuned ram I could remove most, if not all of the bottleneck.

This required cpu speed to be around 4.9/5.0ghz and ram speeds with tight timings.

This was on a 6900xt and 7940x - with HT off for the high clocks, and ram was various sets but always 3200-3800 and cl15 etc.

Run an overlay like MSI after burner and the desired game/resolution make sure you have the overlay showing each cpu core usages along with GPU usage.

If you have one core maxed 95%+ then your bound by cpu most likely. GPU usage also may never reach 90+% which is another sign.

I will post those results, thanks. I might just get a 5950x and some really fast RAM and be done with it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I will post those results, thanks. I might just get a 5950x and some really fast RAM and be done with it.
it really wont be any faster, your mesh is at 2.4ghz? and your ram timings for 3200 are terrible. (at least if your looking for max fps) your system is only as fast as the slowest part. ie if your memory is slow your frames will be limited by the memory. Thing you need to remember is this is a mesh style cpu. meaning it NEEDS lower latency ram to really get the most out of the cpu. on my 7980xe i run 4000mhz cl 16 16 16. i dont recall the rest right now. but trust me when i say that cpu RIPS those fps. but it also has more L3 and a 3.2ghz mesh frequency with some pretty tight timings for 4000mhz. also mine could be better if i took the time to really dig into the sub timings. They can REALLY honestly help your minimum fps a ton. the Ryzen will be the same way. yes the 5950x out of the box might be slightly faster than your cpu out of the box, but your already at 4.6ghz. and you can easly push that to 4.8ghz with some good cooling. you should be able to run the mesh up to 3.0 with out insane voltages (causing way more heat) just set your voltage to manual mode and give it go. Keep in mind the higher your mesh the more heat your cores will make as they are also getting more work to do.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you are set on getting a big block, you can save a few hundred and get the same performance in games with a 5900X instead of 5950X.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Max out the game. Highest possible settings. What framerate do you get then?

It's no surprise that at lower settings you run into a CPU bottleneck, but you didn't buy the fastest GPU on the market to play at lowest settings.
On Warzone i am getting,

High Settings:
105/120 FPS

Low Settings:
120/135FPS

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,176 Posts
Don't know your full settings. But X299 needs to be tuned to be competitive for gaming.

B-die running 3800-4000 CL15 and tight secondary and tertiary timings. I bought 3200 CL 14 and I'm currently at DDR4 4000 CL 15-15-15 35 340 TRFC and maxed TREFI. This will give you the biggest boost. B die is recommended but you can also tune Hynix CJR/DJR and Micron E die. I recommend DJR 3800 CL 16-19-19 TRFC around 460-520. Only reason why I recommend DJR over micron e die is TRFC goes lower on DJR. You will be lucky to get 560 on e die.

Next is your mesh, all x299 chips I have seen can do 3.0. I'm currently running 3.2 and I have seen people run as high as 36.

If you can push the core mhz a little higher it won't hurt. I know these chips run hot so depending on your cooling you might be at your limit. On my 9980XE I have two profiles in the bios. Workstation 4.6Ghz all core with hyper threading and 0 AVX offset. Gaming 4.9 all core without hyper threading 0 AVX offset. This helps with games not knowing what to do with all 36 threads.

Hope this helps, I have owned a 5800X and with the same GPU I am around 1-5% slower. Now this could be because I had SAM enabled on the X570 system. It also performs similar in gaming as a 10850K at 5.0.

I found X299 late in it's cycle but this will be the last DDR4 platform I own.

No issues either if you go AMD, I have seen the 5900X go for retail a lot here lately compared to the past. Currently selling for 589 at antonline. I just could not justify the inflated prices in the past. Plus I like seeing memory channels on both sides of the board.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,176 Posts
On Warzone i am getting,

High Settings:
105/120 FPS

Low Settings:
120/135FPS
Does warzone have a free benchmark to see what my system does with that title?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Warzone:

High Game Settings

Low Game Settings

Core 19 seems to be going 95%+. So the CPU is what's causing the low framerate?

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
402 Posts
Warzone:

High Game Settings

Low Game Settings

Core 19 seems to be going 95%+. So the CPU is what's causing the low framerate?
what does the game say your ms is for your gpu and cpu while playing, this should tell you what the game engine is waiting on. But... just because cpu usage is high does not nessarly mean that is the bottle neck. your minimum fps is limited by your ram settings.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You can tune the ram you have and possibly get much better performance out of it. but if you want the best performance (and you should with spending that money on a 3090) then you should look into Bdie dims

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
it really wont be any faster, your mesh is at 2.4ghz? and your ram timings for 3200 are terrible. (at least if your looking for max fps) your system is only as fast as the slowest part. ie if your memory is slow your frames will be limited by the memory. Thing you need to remember is this is a mesh style cpu. meaning it NEEDS lower latency ram to really get the most out of the cpu. on my 7980xe i run 4000mhz cl 16 16 16. i dont recall the rest right now. but trust me when i say that cpu RIPS those fps. but it also has more L3 and a 3.2ghz mesh frequency with some pretty tight timings for 4000mhz. also mine could be better if i took the time to really dig into the sub timings. They can REALLY honestly help your minimum fps a ton. the Ryzen will be the same way. yes the 5950x out of the box might be slightly faster than your cpu out of the box, but your already at 4.6ghz. and you can easly push that to 4.8ghz with some good cooling. you should be able to run the mesh up to 3.0 with out insane voltages (causing way more heat) just set your voltage to manual mode and give it go. Keep in mind the higher your mesh the more heat your cores will make as they are also getting more work to do.
Thanks for your reply, I am by no means an advanced or intermediate overclocker :/. With that said, what setting do you refer to when you say 'Mesh'. Are you refering to 'Uncore Frequency'? My bios setting are attached.

My system is currently water-cooled x2 420 rads. I have tried pushing the CPU further but it's no go, at least with the current settings I have.

How do i push the mesh up to 3.0....

The ram I have is, Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for your reply, I am by no means an advanced or intermediate overclocker :/. With that said, what setting do you refer to when you say 'Mesh'. Are you refering to 'Uncore Frequency'? My bios setting are attached.

My system is currently water-cooled x2 420 rads. I have tried pushing the CPU further but it's no go, at least with the current settings I have.

How do i push the mesh up to 3.0....

The ram I have is, Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0

Thanks in advance.
i have no issues walking you through everything if you want me to. however i will not have time today. possibly late tonight or maybe tomorrow. You should be able to just google search and look for a few guides on overclocking 7980xe or 7900x. something is bound to pop up for you. remember take your time record details and use something as a benchmark that is repeatable so you can verify you are getting better performance. These chips do like voltage but go in small steps find the breaking point and work your way up is a good plan. and as always BACK UP YOUR DATA. before doing any overclocking. i would spend more time reading and making good records of what you have now, ie bios settings, actual voltages in windows and under load. you already did a nice job of taking bios photo's. do the same in windows with HWinfo64 (you can expand the window by pressing the two arrow buttons)

with 2 420 rads your temps should be solid thats a great start. 4.7 with out a delid should be obtainable. maybe even 4.8 if you dont mind some higher temps at times. (obv you dont want it to cook while your gaming)

Also maybe someone else knows how i do not atm. you might be able to change your LOD settings in warzone to help your frames by reducing draw distance of buildings and trees n such. this will have a massive effect on your fps.

·
Registered
402 Posts
in photo number 5 you can see, min cpu cache and max cpu cache ratio, that is your mesh frequency. go little steps and test for some time on each, as it can take a while for errors to pop up when doing mesh. and loading prime probably wont find them. just using the pc gaming etc is probably the best way to spot them at least as far as i know. maybe someone else has a better way to test mesh i do not.

edit: you could start by doing 25 then 26 then 27 pretty quick 28 is probably going to work with out much voltage but after that you might have to start adding a fair bit.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts