Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I OC the GX2s the CPU usage goes up from 4% to about 50% and its all on 1 core. What is causing this?

------
Update on post # 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
Okay, so it did it again. Its from the process "Interrupts" with a description "hardware Interrupts". I can only see it under Process explorer, which had me confused before because I couldn't see it in task manager. Its under the sub section of "System Idle Process" in Process Explorer.

Any ideas what is causing this?

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post
The cpu is still used some even though you are folding on Gpus
That doesn't explain why the usage goes up so much...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
your ocing tool is taking up cpu resources?

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
yeah I'd blame it on riva, and evga precision or whatever else you use... just flash the cards higher
that is what I do and notice no difference...

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
well check out this guide

but what I do is this...

in windows you open a cmd window... navigate to the nvflash directory... take a backup of the rom from the card (if you have multiples of the same card just take one) then save it, and open it in nibitor... change the values to your own custom OCs, go to the voltage tab and pump the volts if you want/can. Then save that custom rom as a different but simple name. (mine are like 8800GS.rom (original backup) 8800GS2.rom (OC)) now flash the card(s) if they're the same it'll do them one at a time and ask to do the next one after the first ones done... after they're all flashed successfully reboot, and then check with gpu-z that all of them are clocked properly and fold on

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
goodluck
post the results somewhere

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, I will post results.

Although tomorrow I think I'm going to have to power down the GX2 rig to do some rendering (as this machine was designed for). I will be back full throttle in a few days.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Just use Rivatuner to adjust..then close it down..all of your OC profiles will still be applied..and even fan speeds if 'locked'. Rivatuner uses ~2% CPU resources, with my rig folding 2x GPU's..

*Have you tried different drivers yet? I have not heard of that issue before...plenty of folks folding GX2's as well..

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20
View Post

Just use Rivatuner to adjust..then close it down..all of your OC profiles will still be applied..and even fan speeds if 'locked'. Rivatuner uses ~2% CPU resources, with my rig folding 2x GPU's..

*Have you tried different drivers yet? I have not heard of that issue before...plenty of folks folding GX2's as well..

Hmm, let me try that. I'm using the 182.08 drivers on XP32.

EDIT: I just OCed cards. Its not showing an increase in CPU yet. I ended the process for Riva.

·
OG OC
2,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd
View Post

Hmm, let me try that. I'm using the 182.08 drivers on XP32.

EDIT: I just OCed cards. Its not showing an increase in CPU yet. I ended the process for Riva.

I've never had this happen with my GX2. Did you check the processes to see what was using all the %?

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just sent another WU and started a new one without a problem. Not sure what caused it.

·
OG OC
2,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd
View Post

I just sent another WU and started a new one without a problem. Not sure what caused it.

Let's blame it on Windows!

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
nah microsoft in general is to blame

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah yes, Microsoft bashing

I had to take the rigs off folding for a few days. I'm doing some test rendering on the cards. I need a better CPU though
I think I will pick up a X4.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so it did it again. Its from the process "Interrupts" with a description "hardware Interrupts". I can only see it under Process explorer, which had me confused before because I couldn't see it in task manager. Its under the sub section of "System Idle Process" in Process Explorer.

Any ideas what is causing this?

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
This thread got all technical suddenly. Nice how much do thos 9800GX2 run, now adays.

something cool about dual gpu , I like the sound to it heeh,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts