Overclock.net banner

CPU usage goes up when I OC cards

621 Views 21 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  mortimersnerd
When I OC the GX2s the CPU usage goes up from 4% to about 50% and its all on 1 core. What is causing this?

------
Update on post # 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
Okay, so it did it again. Its from the process "Interrupts" with a description "hardware Interrupts". I can only see it under Process explorer, which had me confused before because I couldn't see it in task manager. Its under the sub section of "System Idle Process" in Process Explorer.

Any ideas what is causing this?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post
The cpu is still used some even though you are folding on Gpus
That doesn't explain why the usage goes up so much...

· Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you flash the cards? I usually just use Riva since I never reboot...

· Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, I will post results.

Although tomorrow I think I'm going to have to power down the GX2 rig to do some rendering (as this machine was designed for). I will be back full throttle in a few days.

· Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20
View Post

Just use Rivatuner to adjust..then close it down..all of your OC profiles will still be applied..and even fan speeds if 'locked'. Rivatuner uses ~2% CPU resources, with my rig folding 2x GPU's..

*Have you tried different drivers yet? I have not heard of that issue before...plenty of folks folding GX2's as well..

Hmm, let me try that. I'm using the 182.08 drivers on XP32.

EDIT: I just OCed cards. Its not showing an increase in CPU yet. I ended the process for Riva.

· Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just sent another WU and started a new one without a problem. Not sure what caused it.

· Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah yes, Microsoft bashing

I had to take the rigs off folding for a few days. I'm doing some test rendering on the cards. I need a better CPU though
I think I will pick up a X4.

· Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so it did it again. Its from the process "Interrupts" with a description "hardware Interrupts". I can only see it under Process explorer, which had me confused before because I couldn't see it in task manager. Its under the sub section of "System Idle Process" in Process Explorer.

Any ideas what is causing this?

· Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweakboy View Post
This thread got all technical suddenly. Nice how much do thos 9800GX2 run, now adays.

something cool about dual gpu , I like the sound to it heeh,
The GX2s were 270 each ($1080 for all 4)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.