Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice: I'm an overclocking novice.

I've only done 12 hours in Prime95 but I think my 4.8Ghz overclock on my 3770k is stable (at max 74C). Initially I tried to set voltages manually, but that would constantly cause instability and crashing, so I left it on auto. Now CPU-Z shows Core Voltage 1.456v which is very high I know, but HWiNFO shows 1.246v. Are these reading different things? I thought VID and Core Voltage were the same thing. Any incite into why these two values differ? (screenshot attached)

Anyways, I'm basically just trying to push my 3770k to the maximum until DDR4 prices drop and I decide to upgrade to a new CPU/Mobo/RAM. I'd like to wait for the 9700k coming out presumably the end of the year(?). If I manage to fry my CPU, I'll upgrade early, haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
yeah, I've noticed the same thing with my set up too. but HWbot was always higher / weird temps vs realtemp / actual BIOS V and temps. i always go by what my board actually says and RealTemp / CPU-z, i deleted HWbot

·
Watercooled
872 Posts
The VID is the nominal voltage of your CPU, if you left vCore in AUTO when you overclock the motherboard will set a offset +0.***v and is usually more voltage than is really necessary.
Try this CPU Voltage > Offset mode "+" > 0.100V and increase/decrease the value in 0.025v steps until you reach stability, personally i will stay under 1.35v for 24/7 - 1.4v MAX

·
Registered
29 Posts
Notice: I'm an overclocking novice.

I've only done 12 hours in Prime95 but I think my 4.8Ghz overclock on my 3770k is stable (at max 74C). Initially I tried to set voltages manually, but that would constantly cause instability and crashing, so I left it on auto. Now CPU-Z shows Core Voltage 1.456v which is very high I know, but HWiNFO shows 1.246v. Are these reading different things? I thought VID and Core Voltage were the same thing. Any incite into why these two values differ? (screenshot attached)

Anyways, I'm basically just trying to push my 3770k to the maximum until DDR4 prices drop and I decide to upgrade to a new CPU/Mobo/RAM. I'd like to wait for the 9700k coming out presumably the end of the year(?). If I manage to fry my CPU, I'll upgrade early, haha.
The mentioned subject, that is, the very different display of the data information between the software, leaves many users hesitant.
You are not the first. :);)
In fact, if we had hardware knowledge about the motherboard and processor, we could solve the problem.
There is no temperature sensor in the processor structure.
These software programs read the data with the help of the sensors on the motherboard.
But they can never give the full value.
Since there is a delay in receiving data between software, each software gives different values.
The truth of the matter;
With the help of the software, the temperature readings from the motherboard never reflect the exact truth.
All of the values we see in our software windows are approximate or average data values.

·
Registered
208 Posts
VID is what the intel cpu is asking from the power supply under normal conditions. ( it is theoretical and the cpu adjusts it as it swings clockfrequency ).
This VID amount is coded by intel into the cpu and rarely gets used by any motherboard, most can run with way less voltage.

The actual Voltage your cpu is getting is that core voltage. Being 1.4 + you should be making use of some pretty damn good cooling on that cpu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone, thanks for the knowledge and advice! I meant to respond earlier and forgot. I ended up dropping my overclock to 4.7Ghz and getting it stable with an offset of + 0.075.

As for my cooling, nothing crazy, I delidded my CPU, applied liquid metal and replaced the IHS with the RockIt Cool IHS. I have a Corsair H100 running in push pull with four Silent Wings 3 HS 120mm fans at 2200rpm (mounted in the front of the case to pull in fresh air). It does a good job, hopefully it'll survive until the 9700k comes out. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey everyone, thanks for the knowledge and advice! I meant to respond earlier and forgot. I ended up dropping my overclock to 4.7Ghz and getting it stable with an offset of + 0.075.

As for my cooling, nothing crazy, I delidded my CPU, applied liquid metal and replaced the IHS with the RockIt Cool IHS. I have a Corsair H100 running in push pull with four Silent Wings 3 HS 120mm fans at 2200rpm (mounted in the front of the case to pull in fresh air). It does a good job, hopefully it'll survive until the 9700k comes out. :)
Nothing crazy in 2018:
1-Delied , liquid metal applied cpu.
2-A custom metal lid.
3-A cooler with 2 fan.
4-4 fans in a case.
5-Prob diamond ceramic silver termal paste with a termal pad sides. Which %100 sure cost more then my cpu itself.

I don't even want to learn the crazy setups : (

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Go with a combination of what you've set in the BIOS and HWinfo. If you set 1.3v and it reads 1.32, you're still fine.
Neither is ever going to be perfect but it's close enough that most people aren't killing their CPUs with voltage.
As long as it's running cool enough I'd be fine running up to 1.4v as that is what almost every 8700k owner is doing on a smaller process which is more sensitive than 22nm+.

You can ignore VID completely. Check your vcore, core temps and board temps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have an issue where CPUz only shows the idle voltage even when running Cinebench but HWInfo will fluctuate up to 1.28 on my 7700k @4.8 and sometimes CPUz will only show 0.925 instead of the idle that HWInfo of 0.820 .
Im using Offset mode with +10 .
Before my latest CPUz update to the latest CPUz showed the same as HWInfo !

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Pretty easy to fix, just don't use CPUZ. Problem solved lol.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
VID is the voltage command from the CPU to the VRM and Offset adjust the voltage command up or down from it to your liking for Vcore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts