Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
forgive me as I am new to OCing. I recently got the i7 8700k and just OC it. I set the CPU ratio to All core and at 50 and it now runs at 5ghz without me needed to mess with anything else. But the CPU now runs at 1.344v constantly. Ive heard 1.35 was the max for this CPU so I believe im good there, but is it fine for the CPU to run at that constantly? and If not what settings can I change so it lowers when possible. Its an AS Rock Mobo

Edit* Nvm it crashed at 5ghz, but runs stable at 4.9 ghz. And ive also notice that the voltage tends to go down when im running a benchmark? but at idle it runs at 1.328. Whats going on here?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
forgive me as I am new to OCing. I recently got the i7 8700k and just OC it. I set the CPU ratio to All core and at 50 and it now runs at 5ghz without me needed to mess with anything else. But the CPU now runs at 1.344v constantly. Ive heard 1.35 was the max for this CPU so I believe im good there, but is it fine for the CPU to run at that constantly? and If not what settings can I change so it lowers when possible. Its an AS Rock Mobo

Edit* Nvm it crashed at 5ghz, but runs stable at 4.9 ghz. And ive also notice that the voltage tends to go down when im running a benchmark? but at idle it runs at 1.328. Whats going on here?
Exactly what settings did you change?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
What you have set is fine for overclocking. Setting the clock multiplier on some motherboards disables Intel power saving features. If you want to use Intel power saving features enable C-States and EIST (speed step) and speed shift. The core voltage lowering from idle to load is Intel Load Line and is normal when observed with the power saving features disabled or fixed Vcore.

If you want to run 5.0GHz you can increase the Vcore offset +0.020v at a time and stress test up to core voltage 1.42v or 90c whatever comes first.

I'm overclocked to 5.0GHz with all stock power saving features.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you have set is fine for overclocking. Setting the clock multiplier on some motherboards disables Intel power saving features. If you want to use Intel power saving features enable C-States and EIST (speed step) and speed shift. The core voltage lowering from idle to load is Intel Load Line and is normal when observed with the power saving features disabled or fixed Vcore.

If you want to run 5.0GHz you can increase the Vcore offset +0.020v at a time and stress test up to core voltage 1.42v or 90c whatever comes first.

I'm overclocked to 5.0GHz with all stock power saving features.:)
alright, im not too worried about an electricity bill, i just wanna make sure the cpu lasts. What would i start with on the vcore offset? since its auto by default. 0?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
alright, im not too worried about an electricity bill, i just wanna make sure the cpu lasts. What would i start with on the vcore offset? since its auto by default. 0?
Saving power when Idle also saves wear and tear.:thumb: Default Vcore is not a Zero the offset is at Zero. I would start Vcore offset from what you have now +0.020v.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts