Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm used to an AMD overclock (only on a NF4 board) where there is only one CPU voltage. On this 680I mobo, there are 2 different voltages for the CPU. There is the CPU one and the CPU FSB one, which one is important to maintainning a stable clock? We got the CPU FSB is now upped to 1.3V instead of 1.2V and I'm wondering if that is fine? We are also at 1.2205V or something like that on the other side.... I'm running blind here

Any help would be great

BTW, we are trying to get a Q6600 to 3.0GHz.....

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

I'm used to an AMD overclock (only on a NF4 board) where there is only one CPU voltage. On this 680I mobo, there are 2 different voltages for the CPU. There is the CPU one and the CPU FSB one, which one is important to maintainning a stable clock? We got the CPU FSB is now upped to 1.3V instead of 1.2V and I'm wondering if that is fine? We are also at 1.2205V or something like that on the other side.... I'm running blind here

Any help would be great

just worry about the CPU core, the cpu fsb is usually fine at default.

You should get 3.0 on that fairly easy with proper cooling.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghozt302
View Post

just worry about the CPU core, the cpu fsb is usually fine at 1.3

usually? If we set it back down to 1.2V, wouldn't make a huge difference? Thanks for the post man

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

Any help would be great

The CPU Core is the main one to worry about. For 3.0GHz, you may only need between 1.30V and 1.40V. with maybe a 1.20-1.30V FSB voltage. Always avoid "Auto" if you can.

Oh, and be sure to disable the following to help get the most out of the overclock:
  • Spread Spectrum
  • Intel Speedstep
  • CPU Thermal Control
  • C1E Enhanced Halt State
That's about as much as I know. If you have troubles overclocking this, then be sure to flash to the latest BIOS.

·
Registered
688 Posts
NP, I changed it to default btw..
Let us know how it works out and give us benches!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Oh, and be sure to disable the following to help get the most out of the overclock:
  • Spread Spectrum
  • Intel Speedstep
  • CPU Thermal Control
  • C1E Enhanced Halt State

And Yes these are a must!

·
Premium Member
8,198 Posts
You normally don't need to increase FSB voltage until passing or nearing 400 fsb, this depends on the chip and board. At 333 fsb, stock fsb voltage should be fine. As for the vcore, 1.22v is low for a Q6600. If the vid is 1.22v and it defaults at that, you probably have a good chip on your hands. You still might need a little bump to hit 3.0ghz, but many can do 3.0ghz at stock vcore.

One more thing and I'm not too sure about it. I remember reading that some boards were really bad with quads, I think that it was the 680's but I"m not sure.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm
View Post

You normally don't need to increase FSB voltage until passing or nearing 400 fsb, this depends on the chip and board. At 333 fsb, stock fsb voltage should be fine. As for the vcore, 1.22v is low for a Q6600. If the vid is 1.22v and it defaults at that, you probably have a good chip on your hands. You still might need a little bump to hit 3.0ghz, but many can do 3.0ghz at stock vcore.

One more thing and I'm not too sure about it. I remember reading that some boards were really bad with quads, I think that it was the 680's but I"m not sure.

You're right about the 680i's which is why I recommended a BIOS flash if the overclocking proves to be too difficult or impossible.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm
View Post

Well VID isn't everything (3.2 GHZ with 1.22v here with a VID of 1.275) but it's generally good to have a lower one. 3.0 should be extremely easy to achieve. just put it at 333x9, adjust ram to desired speed, and set the volts to about 1.30 (windows) and then work your way down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.