Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked on cpu-z and saw my memory was at 5:4, and i believ people sya it should be 1:1. I oc'ed my presscot 2.8 to a 3.4 and have majorly oc'ed my videocard. How do i change this setting. I have 1 gb kingston pc3200 400mhz ram - Lanparty pro 875b - p4 2.8E

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
You can change your RAM speed in "Advanced Chipset Features" menu of the BIOS. In order to run CPU:RAM in 1:1, you will need to set RAM speed to DDR400. There is a possibility, however, that your PC3200 will not be able to run 1:1 at that overclock (which is effectively DDR480). Make sure you set timings to 3-4-4-8, set the bandwidth feature (right underneath the memory settings...the options are LPS1, HPS1, MPS2, etc etc) to 'disabled', and in the Genie BIOS menu set vdimm to 2.7v (or 2.8v, if it goes that high...but I'm pretty sure the highest these boards allow is 2.7v). You might want to back FSB down to 220 for the first re-boot and increasing slowly (3-5 mhz at a time) from there.. If you get errors, no post, or other instability even at 220, then the RAM may just not be capable of keeping up with your CPU in 1:1.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying leave everything how it is now, or try that and let me so how high i can get it and leave it there? would 1:1 be faster then mine is now?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I would start out by reducing FSB to 220 mhz, and setting RAM timings and voltage as I suggested. Push it as high as it will go (3-5 mhz at a time), until you find the highest stable 1:1 setting. Run some tests (like Aquamark, 3dMark01, any other game benchie of your choice) and make note of the results. Then, go back to 5:4 and see how high you can push the CPU. Run the same tests, then compare results. Go with whichever gives you the best performance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did that and only could get fsb up to like 215
so i put it back, nad its back to 3.4 and fast
.......what exactly should my bandwith be set at (default) and if i can change that one option to make my system better, if it does.

bc i thought that bandwith was having to due with internet and that the higher then better...so what shouldi do if it deals with internet and to get the fastest internet...then again im prob wrong

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
bandwidth pertains to data throughput. Yes, it is a measurement that can apply to data transfer rates of an internet connection. Assuming you are referring to the setting in BIOS, under advanced chipset features, this pertains to your system bus's data throughput. Overclocking your CPU and RAM will give you more perfromance than tweaking that bandwidth setting. I think you forgot to lock AGP/PCI/SATA (in the Genie BIOS menu of the BIOS). This should be set to 66/33/100. If, however, you would prefer to leave it at stock (3.4 GHz) speeds, then by all means, tweak the bandwidth setting. Go for HPS1, and hope you can POST.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

bandwidth pertains to data throughput. Yes, it is a measurement that can apply to data transfer rates of an internet connection. Assuming you are referring to the setting in BIOS, under advanced chipset features, this pertains to your system bus's data throughput. Overclocking your CPU and RAM will give you more perfromance than tweaking that bandwidth setting. I think you forgot to lock AGP/PCI/SATA (in the Genie BIOS menu of the BIOS). This should be set to 66/33/100. If, however, you would prefer to leave it at stock (3.4 GHz) speeds, then by all means, tweak the bandwidth setting. Go for HPS1, and hope you can POST.

what exactly does spread spectrum dooo. it seems more smooth when its enabled but im trying it disabled bc u said it would limit my oc.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
just to let you know, before i used cpuz, my ram was running at ddr333 when it shouldve been at ddr400, i changed it from (3:2) to (1:1) and it seems to be running better

just change the ram manually to 400 in the bios..

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtsplyr3189

what exactly does spread spectrum dooo. it seems more smooth when its enabled but im trying it disabled bc u said it would limit my oc.

It smooths out frequency spikes, and yes, will limit your overclock.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

It smooths out frequency spikes, and yes, will limit your overclock.
ok what is the highest badnwith u can have hps1? and why do i have to disable it when trying to get my pc 1:1? and what are the benefits of making it 1:1 when i have 1 gb pc3200 400mhz ram? will i get it high enough?
And can i sset my bandwith higher or will it mess everythnig up?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Yes, HPS1 is the highest setting. The bandwidth setting basically offers different levels of memory timings, from loose (LPS3) to tight (HPS1) I had seen the different settings outlined somewhere, altho I don't remember where any more (or really care to spend the time looking
). If I recall, LPS3 is something like 2.5-4-4-7 and HPS1 is 2-2-2-5. The settings in between are just different variations of automated timing settings. If you're overclocking the system, then you definitely want to disable it and manually set timings to 3-4-4-8, as these are the loosest and will allow for the highest overclock from your RAM....which will probably be the limiting factor in your OC. If you're going to leave it at stock speeds, then even here I would recommend disabling it and just tweaking the timings yourself.

In all honesty, this stuff is all explained in the OC'ing guide and RAM guide (both linked in sig).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Yes, HPS1 is the highest setting. The bandwidth setting basically offers different levels of memory timings, from loose (LPS3) to tight (HPS1) I had seen the different settings outlined somewhere, altho I don't remember where any more (or really care to spend the time looking
). If I recall, LPS3 is something like 2.5-4-4-7 and HPS1 is 2-2-2-5. The settings in between are just different variations of automated timing settings. If you're overclocking the system, then you definitely want to disable it and manually set timings to 3-4-4-8, as these are the loosest and will allow for the highest overclock from your RAM....which will probably be the limiting factor in your OC. If you're going to leave it at stock speeds, then even here I would recommend disabling it and just tweaking the timings yourself.

In all honesty, this stuff is all explained in the OC'ing guide and RAM guide (both linked in sig).

im gonna leave it at stock speedss but chnage the bandwith....i have lps1-2-3 and mds 1-2 nad hps3 and thast all..i put it on hps3 and im here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts