Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas I just drained my rig and put some new water. I found a leak. I attached a few pictures. What can I do to salvage this block? Is this even a possibility. It is a very small leak put it' still a leak.

What is you recommendation OCN?

Don't have my DSLR so the pics are not the best

The crack goes down to about half of the threading, then it shoots out toward the outside.

·
Registered
434 Posts
what is this an ek block? figures..... I'd try using a bigger O ring on the fitting, that or you can seal a fitting on there with some silicone or something like that. i would definitely at least try something, that's 100 bucks right there.

either way ek must use some crap acrylic cuz i've had a res crack and the threads on a gpu block stripped the first time i installed a fitting. never happened with any of my DD acrylic.....

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2J View Post

what is this an ek block? figures..... I'd try using a bigger O ring on the fitting, that or you can seal a fitting on there with some silicone or something like that. i would definitely at least try something, that's 100 bucks right there.
either way ek must use some crap acrylic cuz i've had a res crack and the threads on a gpu block stripped the first time i installed a fitting. never happened with any of my DD acrylic.....
yes it's a EK-FB EVGA X58 Classified.
I don't get the bigger o-ring option?

I was thinking of using a fitting with longer thread and maybe trying to seal the crack with silicone/jb weld or something someone can suggest.

Sealing a fitting?? that sound like an idea. what if it still leaks? that would mean i have to take out the fitting and possible breaking the acrylic.

man i have to thing about this one!!!!

thank you for your reply!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
I would have to see exactly where it is leaking (like is it a leaking by the threads issue,or a leaking through the block leak,just exactly where,to make the call).I see it is X58 related (which to me means older).Perhaps,just perhaps EK may be able to do something for you.Have you thought of giving them a call? If they cannot help with a replacement, maybe they have an idea we have not thought about.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would not take a chance with that, all it takes is one drop and some crud luck and it's "one dead board" or worse..

Try contacting EK and hope they'll help..

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I also cracked one and no I would not put it back on. But what I would do is contact the company and see if you can order just the acrylic piece.
The fittings with the o-rings only have to be a little more than hand tight. I over tightened mine thinking I need to and ended up cracking it. I contacted DangerDen and they sent me a new acrylic top for $15.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCCstudent View Post

I would have to see exactly where it is leaking (like is it a leaking by the threads issue,or a leaking through the block leak,just exactly where,to make the call).I see it is X58 related (which to me means older).Perhaps,just perhaps EK may be able to do something for you.Have you thought of giving them a call? If they cannot help with a replacement, maybe they have an idea we have not thought about.
When I saw it leaking, it was coming out from between the fitting and the plexi. My mobo is inverted so I don't know if that would make any difference where it would leak. (plexi or threads)

I will give them a call and see if they can replace to top.

thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joman2055 View Post

some teflon tape may fix it
The fittings already had some teflon tape on them. Didn't help any. Thank you for the suggestion BTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank anderson View Post

I would not take a chance with that, all it takes is one drop and some crud luck and it's "one dead board" or worse..
Try contacting EK and hope they'll help..
I will be doing this. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elf View Post

Is this it? EVGA X58
nope it this one but in acrylic EK-FB EVGA X58 Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod View Post

I also cracked one and no I would not put it back on. But what I would do is contact the company and see if you can order just the acrylic piece.
The fittings with the o-rings only have to be a little more than hand tight. I over tightened mine thinking I need to and ended up cracking it. I contacted DangerDen and they sent me a new acrylic top for $15.
I will be doing that. I think I might of cracked it when I tighten down the compression fitting.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Windshield repair kit. And you're done.

Edit: You may have to make that compression fitting a permanent one by doing this.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Windshield repair kit. And you're done.
Edit: You may have to make that compression fitting a permanent one by doing this.
I'm okay with making that compression fitting permanent. After some testing I found out it is leaking from the threads. will the windshield repair kit work on that?

·
Not new to overclock.net
1,588 Posts

·
Iconoclast
30,667 Posts
Have a heat gun?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Good old crazy glue. Let it dry real good before using again.
i did think about doing this. might just try it!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitos714 View Post

i did think about doing this. might just try it!
You should, it's standard acrylic repair and easy too. And being a liquid it will fill up all the crevices just right.

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Crazy glue isn't much different than windshield repair, so it's a win. I wasn't thinking about simple stuff I guess.
redface.gif

1 - 20 of 28 Posts