Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·

72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, when i listen to music with a decent amount of bass, my speakers start to crack. Doesn’t matter which volume it’s at, and it’s a problem with the PC. I don’t have this issue when using my phone. It’s like the PC can’t handle the speed or something.

People already gave me the following options:
- PC is not grounded
- Could be the integrated soundcard
- Could be the jack connection

I've tested the jack connection and this gave me no solution.
Can't test if it's the integrated soundcard, because i don't have a spare one.
I am going to check if my PC is grounded because i am not sure.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Hello, when i listen to music with a decent amount of bass, my speakers start to crack. Doesn’t matter which volume it’s at, and it’s a problem with the PC. I don’t have this issue when using my phone. It’s like the PC can’t handle the speed or something.

https://youtu.be/bzgNaYnFYPQ

People already gave me the following options:
- PC is not grounded
- Could be the integrated soundcard
- Could be the jack connection

I've tested the jack connection and this gave me no solution.
Can't test if it's the integrated soundcard, because i don't have a spare one.
I am going to check if my PC is grounded because i am not sure.
First of all, pretty much every pc is grounded, they have to be considering most have exposed metal. So unless your socket or cable is faulty, this shoudn't be an issue.

So it sounds like its either an issue with the on-board audio or a ground loop issue to me.

You can try a try a USB soundcard, also called a DAC/Amp, that might fix it if its an onboard audio issue. And it will also lessen the effect of EMI inside the case.

If its a groundloop, although ground loop is usually more of a constant humm than cackling. There's not much you can do about it.

·

72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, pretty much every pc is grounded, they have to be considering most have exposed metal. So unless your socket or cable is faulty, this shoudn't be an issue.

So it sounds like its either an issue with the on-board audio or a ground loop issue to me.

You can try a try a USB soundcard, also called a DAC/Amp, that might fix it if its an onboard audio issue. And it will also lessen the effect of EMI inside the case.

If its a groundloop, although ground loop is usually more of a constant humm than cackling. There's not much you can do about it.
Yeah, but my wallsockets in the house are not grounded. Only the kitchen is grounded as far as i know.
I don't have a soundcard, nor someone has a soundcard which i can borrow.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Yeah, but my wallsockets in the house are not grounded. Only the kitchen is grounded as far as i know.
You know you shouldn't be plugging your PC in non-grounded sockets right? First of all its dangerous, if there's ever a fault in the power supply the entire case could become live at 240V. And its a nightmare for insurance, if you ar anyone else gets injured by a shock or it catches fire, don't count on any insurance.

And that's aside from other issues.

Non grounded sockets are only for double insulated devices. (they only have 2 prong cables like this)

As said, try it in your kitchen first. If that doesn't solve just try a cheap usb dac like this one.

Edit: this one is even cheaper and should be fine too: https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/tiny-dac

If it still has the cracking sound, perhaps the speakers simply dont like the bass.
He already said its not volume related and works fine when plugged in his phone, so blaming it on the bass doesn't make any sense.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Alot of phones kill a lot of bass to preserve their speakers.
That's only trough their built in speakers, phones generally don't mess with the audio trough the 3.5mm jack unless you personally mess with the equalizer or so called "audio enhancements" which usually tend to even increase bass.

·

72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know you shouldn't be plugging your PC in non-grounded sockets right? First of all its dangerous, if there's ever a fault in the power supply the entire case could become live at 240V. And its a nightmare for insurance, if you ar anyone else gets injured by a shock or it catches fire, don't count on any insurance.

And that's aside from other issues.

Non grounded sockets are only for double insulated devices. (they only have 2 prong cables like this)

As said, try it in your kitchen first. If that doesn't solve just try a cheap usb dac like this one.

Edit: this one is even cheaper and should be fine too: https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/tiny-dac

If it still has the cracking sound, perhaps the speakers simply dont like the bass.
He already said its not volume related and works fine when plugged in his phone, so blaming it on the bass doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, i know and i am going to ask my dad about the walloutlets. We rent a house, so they should fix it for free.

Alot of phones kill a lot of bass to preserve their speakers.
That's only trough their built in speakers, phones generally don't mess with the audio trough the 3.5mm jack unless you personally mess with the equalizer or so called "audio enhancements" which usually tend to even increase bass.
I must say my iphone uses a lightning to jack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts