Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the crash course, coles notes version on overclocking my Ryzen 1600 running on an Asus Prime X370-A.

No I'm not looking for the overclocking beginners guide, I'm not a newbie. I've done my share of overclocking... Thing is I haven't OC'ed since LGA 775 and I never OC'ed an AMD chipset, actually I never owned an AMD chip set until 4 months ago when I made my first build in about a decade, I was always an Intel guy.

Last time I OC'ed it was a BIOS only game, we played with the CPU's "mhz" core clock, and you would increase them and then there was some math calculation with the front side bus where you would arrive to your chosen ghz range, apparently it's not done that way anymore. Used to use software like furmark, cpuz and something else to stress test after.

I was watching some video of a guy OC'ing now and it seems like a different animal, apparently people overclock from the OS instead of the BIOS... Then there's this thing that's called UEFI that's like a BIOS but it has fancy GUI's and mouse support. My motherboard (Prime X370-A) has this UEFI GUI interface thing but I don't recognize any of the options or really know what's what when it comes to the overclocking options in it. (Jokes aside, I know the difference between UEFI and BIOS, I was just genuinely shocked at seeing a mouse when initially installing the OS and playing with the boot orders.)

I'm running a Linux only machine, so even if OS level overclocking is a possibility now it isn't for me and it'll have to be done in the BIOS (sorry UEFI now) , that also means I don't have access to whatever the apps are now to stress test the OC. That's another thing, I need to know what the "go-to" programs are now for stress testing, still Furmark and CPU-Z? Potentially any Linux alternatives?

As a last resort I have a copy of Windows 10 on an SSD that I can boot to if I absolutely have to use Windows only software to stress test the OC. So what's the crash course on X370 motherboard UEFI overclocking?

On a side note, while I'm not running a stock cooler, I don't have a cooling monster by any means. I'm running one of those silent lo-pro coolers, the Noctua NH-L9a.

Looks like this if you haven't seen it.

I'm wondering how far up the mhz range you think I'll be able to push on this cooler? It's a high quality aftermarket piece but it dosen't seem like it's that much better than stock.

·
Registered
81 Posts
you may get an extra 100-200mhz out of that cooler it's just to small for anything more ..and as you have said it's ment for quiet not oc

to oc in a simple way it's just the cpu voltage and soc voltage cpu max 1.4 soc max 1.2 but on that cooler your not going to get anywhere near that

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
The 1600 comes with its own Wraith cooler. Use that because it is much better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts