Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay heres the deal. Ever since yesterday when I play any game, after about one minute the pc crashes and on the screen there are vertical lines about a centimeter apart. I've tried 3 different games with the same results.
Heres what i've tried:
1. I reset my cpu overclock
2. I reset gpu overclock
3. I reinstalled my nvidia drivers (91.47)

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pandapimp
Okay heres the deal. Ever since yesterday when I play any game, after about one minute the pc crashes and on the screen there are vertical lines about a centimeter apart. I've tried 3 different games with the same results.
Heres what i've tried:
1. I reset my cpu overclock
2. I reset gpu overclock
3. I reinstalled my nvidia drivers (91.47)

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time!

Exactly how did you re-install the drivers?

It could be bad RAM on the video card. Did you try turning off the monitor and back on to see if the monitor is the problem? What kind of monitor? If it's LCD, what's the scan rate set to in the nvidia control panel?

• Rep+
Reactions: pandapimp

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankenPC
Exactly how did you re-install the drivers?

It could be bad RAM on the video card. Did you try turning off the monitor and back on to see if the monitor is the problem? What kind of monitor? If it's LCD, what's the scan rate set to in the nvidia control panel?
I redownloaded the 91.47 drivers. Then I uninstalled nvidia drivers from control panel (display only). Then I rebooted into safe mode and ran driver cleaner pro and cleaned nvidia. After that I rebooted into windows and installed the display drivers.

My ram on the card has ramsinks on it so it shouldnt be a problem. Its a 20" LCD at 1600x1200 and by scan rate I think you mean refresh rate so its 60 HZ.

Thanks

EDIT: sorry for double post

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

I redownloaded the 91.47 drivers. Then I uninstalled nvidia drivers from control panel (display only). Then I rebooted into safe mode and ran driver cleaner pro and cleaned nvidia. After that I rebooted into windows and installed the display drivers.

My ram on the card has ramsinks on it so it shouldnt be a problem. Its a 20" LCD at 1600x1200 and by scan rate I think you mean refresh rate so its 60 HZ.

Thanks

EDIT: sorry for double post

How long have you had the video card? Could also be the RAMDAC. Yeah, I meant refresh rate BTW. Try downshifting the resolution to 1280 and see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

How long have you had the video card? Could also be the RAMDAC. Yeah, I meant refresh rate BTW. Try downshifting the resolution to 1280 and see if the problem persists.

Had the video card for almost a year. I dont know what RAMDAC is lol. Ill try the resolution right now but the weird thing is CSS is running perfect. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Had the video card for almost a year. I dont know what RAMDAC is lol. Ill try the resolution right now but the weird thing is CSS is running perfect. Thanks again

The RAMDAC is the converter which takes the digital signal from the GPU and converts it to a scan-line analog signal. If it goes out, you will start seeing black lines across your screen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

The RAMDAC is the converter which takes the digital signal from the GPU and converts it to a scan-line analog signal. If it goes out, you will start seeing black lines across your screen.

Thanks, I didnt know that. So I tried 1280 resolution but still no good news.

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Run drivercleaner and wipe all gpu drivers, then try and install some different drivers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BAD NEWS! I just reset my comp and now there are orange looking artifact things all over my screen. It now shows up on windows and as i type this. Is this a video card to monitor problem? I reset cmos, remounted vga heatsink, am not overclocked at all, and checked all video card and monitor cables. Help please!!

·
Premium Member
9,786 Posts
What video card is this? I kow alot of 7900gt have had this problem alot and if it is so, it may be a faulty one. How long have you had it, and can you RMA if needed? Not saying you need to yet but it may be a possibility.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by henrys

vertical line artifacts usually means ram is overheating and pixel artifacts usually means the core is overheating.

I think your video card's ram is failing.

^^^ I second that.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
This is probably not the case, but it could be a failing PSU. (I had a slightly similar problem which turned to be my PSU.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts