Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have two cablemods' 8 pin pcie connectors but I have only one 8 pin pcie slot left in my psu, can I mod the two separate cables in a single one?
I think it's possible because I saw a lot of double pcie 8pin cables, but how can I make one starting from two single ones?

Thabjs

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Wire cutters, shrink tubing and a soldering iron?

Be aware though that the single 8 pin connector on the PSU will still only put out enough power for a single 8 pin connector. Whether that will be enough power for whatever you want to use the two 8 pin connectors for is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I'm using a single 8pin connector that becomes two 8 pin pcie, the original one that come with the other Corsair wires.

So if I make a similar cables using the two cablemod cables that are white (all this thing is made up for show the withe cables) it should work, shouldn't it?

I'd like to know how to connect the second cable, I mean there are 8 pins, I just have to connect the cable 1 first pcie pin with cable 2 first pcie pin and so on?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattuz View Post

I'd like to know how to connect the second cable,
Connect the second cable to what?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have two separate 8 pin pcie cables and I want to make one with one connector for the psu and two pcie for the gpu.

I want to do this because I have two separate white cables and I want to make a single one like the one corsair give to me

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
You'd have to cut off both of the PSU connectors and then solder the wires from the two GPU connectors that are left to one of the PSU connectors you cut off.

Or you could buy a pin extractor, pin crimper, new pins, and white wire and make your own connector using the parts you have.

Or you could see if Corsair or someone else sell the connector you need.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, so it is not possible to create something like this in a similar way in which you create the cable in your first picture?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
You can buy any connectors you want, the appropriate pins, crimper, shrink tubing, wire and sleeving and make any type of connector you want.

If you're trying to cobble something together from the parts you have I'd be glad to help. But what parts you have now seems to some kind of secret as you haven't posted any pictures or drawings to show what you have and what you want to make, just vague references to stuff that's kind of like what you have and what you want..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have this cablemod kit, I want to join the two central cables in the picture (that are for the gpu) in a single one similar to this:

b58bc62f_3.jpeg

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Do you know how to solder?
Do you have a soldering iron and rosin core solder?

How much money can you spend on this project?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have all the tools, I'll like to spend nothing on this project because I have already cables and tools.

I just don't know how to take out the cables from the 8pin connector to solder the two cables and then put them in the connector again

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
The picture shows 6 + 2 pin connectors on the GPU ends
You can live with 8 pin connectors on both the PSU end and the GPU ends?

And no sleveing?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Quote:

I just don't know how to take out the cables from the 8pin connector
There are tools for that but I have better success with two industrial staples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKh_gUBQwvw
I hit the bottom of my staples with a hammer in order to make them thinner and easier to insert.

Quote:

I just don't know how to solder the two cables and then put them in the connector again
A proper way to do it will be without soldering, but by attaching two cables to one terminal pin:

(not the right terminals in this pic)
Crimping two cables into one terminal is not easy though.

Another way will be to solder the second cable directly to the first cable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXaKt-tiVI0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts