Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a computer all built that I've been using for a couple of months now. I have 1 74GB Raptor and Newegg has a pretty good deal going now for another so I was thinking about doing a Raid 0 array. I know that the array requires a fresh install of windows. Is there any way to setup the array without losing everything I've installed on the first drive? I just use the Raptor for windows and programs. Could I just copy everything onto another drive, setup the array, install windows, then copy all the windows/program stuff back to the array, just adding and replacing the new windows stuff?

I just don't want to lose everything that's on the first drive already.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdub998

No there is no way possible to get around formatting and starting over. Trust me I just went raid and had the same q's as you.

Back all your files up on DVDs or CDs or another drive that will not be in the array and then reformat - its the only way to go.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I understand that I have to reformat, but if I just copy the entire drive onto another backup drive, that is not in the array, then reformat and install windows and setup the array, then copy everything from the backup drive onto the array would that work? What would happen? Would the programs work? I mean basically if I copy absolutely everything back from the old windows install to the array with the fresh Windows wouldn't it be just like before?

The only difference would be that the new Windows would recognize the array and the old windows wouldn't, so in the process of copying back the old windows to the array, couldn't I just replace everything from the new install besides the new array 'knowledge' that windows will have?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdub998

I doubt the prograsms would work as most of them set up registry entries. Withought the registry entry the program would either not work or go nuts.

In the process of copying everything back wouldn't the registry be copied too?

Eh, maybe it wouldn't be the end of the world to reinstall everything. Is it worth spending $136 for another Raptor and having to reinstall everything? Should I do it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts