1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4566

the RIAA has gone to far this time!

The RIAA strikes again

It looks like the RIAA's war on music pirates continues to affect not only legitimate consumers but music companies as well. This week, Creative announced that it will be removing FM radio recording from its portable music players from here on out. Creative has released a new firmware update for its Zen MicroPhoto and Zen Vision:M players that removes FM recording. We're finding it baffling that owners of the above products would rush to download such an update.

Earlier this year, XM Satellite Radio was handed a lawsuit by the RIAA for allow its subscribers to record satellite radio broadcasts onto portable XM players. XM argued that while users were able to record whatever they pleased, the songs were not transferable and users were not able to move data onto a computer. Despite this important detail, the RIAA pressed forward anyway, indicating that it wanted XM to pay a hefty $150,000 for every song that XM users downloaded.

MP3s, satellite radio and FM radio are all part of the RIAA's music portfolio. Companies are now facing stricter regulations and consumers continue to face ongoing lawsuits.

Besides removing FM recording off its new Zen firmware, Creative also introduced several minor fixes such as video zooming and language support.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Being that I work in the music industry, I don't like peeps putting me out of work. Also, at the same time I do think some of this copy right stuff is going to far!

XM Radio, Rapsody, & Serius (spelling?) Radio are NOT free anyways. You are paying for the rights to listen to this music. Any radio/TV publicity helps sell tickets for the live shows. This is where artist should be concerned with making there real profits.

I'm all for making a good buck, but some of this bull fertilizer is greed!

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Riaa Can...<censored>

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster
We don't need a f*cking RIAA, just go straight to hell you mongering bastards.
Thats well said to

Another thing that bugs me is censorship!!!

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HrnyGoat
Everyone has been allowed to record radio ever since the old days of the 8-track. The RIAA has gotten so concerned with money that theyre infringing on our constitional rights. Theyre tyrants and should be hung.
QFT

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
The IRAA needs to die in a fire. The only people that like the IRAA are members and lawyers. Next thing you know they will try to make free radio illegal.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp
The IRAA needs to die in a fire. The only people that like the IRAA are members and lawyers. Next thing you know they will try to make free radio illegal.

I think someone already is- I hear radio commercials all the time saying support the free radio industry- its your radio.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Couldn't people just downgrade their firmware after they buy a new one?

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
That people is the reason why I don't buy CDs nor DVDs, all these damn artist are so accustom to make millions for some crap they write/sing.......screw it. They're not in for the music but the money, it's a business now so I'm not going to spend my money on their crap. No sir.

Howard Stern rules!

F the recording industry!

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasgul
That people is the reason why I don't buy CDs nor DVDs, all these damn artist are so accustom to make millions for some crap they write/sing.......screw it. They're not in for the music but the money, it's a business now so I'm not going to spend my money on their crap. No sir.

Howard Stern rules!

F the recording industry!
The artists don't make a whole lot on the CDs. The record companies do.

If you want to support an artist, go to their concert.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The RIAA goes too far every time. This is similar to the recording telepone calls issue. They argue that if you're doing nothing wrong, why worry? But it is in little steps like these that freedom will eventually be taken away completely.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts