Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I'm building a new rig, and was looking to find out if a sound card is worth the money. I mainly game, and after looking around everybody seems to suggest the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro when it comes to gaming. However, I also saw that Creative is not as dominant as it used to be, and plenty of other vendors are out there... not to mention the countless accounts of the card not working with Windows 7 64bit.

I have the Logitech Z-5500 speakers, and I plan to stick with 'em. Anyway, your recommendations? What sound card should I get? Is the Creative a good choice? (Budge is like $150)

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
If you use either of the digital inputs (Optical -or- S/PDIF), the Z-5500 itself will handle all of your decoding - meaning just about any sound card or on-board solution will sound the same.

If you use the standard speaker inputs and want to purchase a card: skip the Fatal1ty edition. The regular X-Fi Titanium is almost exactly the same (except for the stupid branding), and you can save yourself quite a bit of cash.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man
View Post

If you use either of the digital inputs (Optical -or- S/PDIF), the Z-5500 itself will handle all of your decoding - meaning just about any sound card or on-board solution will sound the same.

If you use the standard speaker inputs and want to purchase a card: skip the Fatal1ty edition. The regular X-Fi Titanium is almost exactly the same (except for the stupid branding), and you can save yourself quite a bit of cash.

that fatal1ty is nothing more than branding that drives the cost to 2x more. use the extra cash elsewhere

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, what would be better? Is the decoding on the Z-5500 good enough or are there soundcards out there that are worth using analog for?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah... I forget the exact details, but I was in the same situation a little while back. I believe the fatality pro doesn't offer any technological enhancements over the regular Titanium, but rather it just has a few extra inputs. There's someone in the For Sale area who has been trying to sell his X-Fi Titanium for a while... I'd grab that if you wanted a Creative Titanium. For some more money, you can get an Auzentech card, which is supposed to be superior to Creative's offerings. After I committed to the purchase of my Titanium, I read in an audiophile forum that the company MAudio produces both superior and cheaper cards than Creative. Might be worth looking into because I got the impression that some of Creative's price tag is purely hype.

Will a sound card be worth it with your Z-5500? It's hard to say. I've heard that it all depends on your sensitivity and perception to sound. I have a Z-5500 (I should do my sig...) and I didn't notice a major improvement. What you may notice is greater overall clarity and perhaps a better separation of directional sounds. Tbh though, I don't really get to use my Z-5500 a lot because it would be way too loud for my house...

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
A good sound card really isn't needed with Z-5500's. They're just not good enough to take advantage of a card like that. Something like an Xtreme Gamer/Music would be more than fine.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
but I would say with out saying my friends sale an xtreme gamer or music would be fine for you man!! the logitech speakers are great and would sound perfect with one

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked a lot into the subject, I read a lot of forum posts, I read a lot of reviews... and I'm STILL not sure whats the best option!

My absolute main priority is gaming, and for that, everybody seems to say an X-Fi sound card is a must. However, I'm unclear as to whats would serve me better - an X-fi chip with EAX support etc, or an ASUS/Omega chip for better sound quality...

Whats the tradeoff? Whats the difference in games? Whats the difference in everything else?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The way i see it the XFi will be sufficient for you and your Z5500 setup. I can strongly say that you probably wont notice the difference between your choices of soundcards but dont take my word for it.

Will you ever be gaming with headphones?

·
Registered
288 Posts
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro with Toslink Out --- in DTS mode...

turn up your Z-5500 bass...

you're good to go IMO,

I got no problem in my case,[email protected]

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
If you buy a Titanium its better to use the three analog cables than the optical. Turning the bass down would probably be a better idea. Its loud and boomy enough as it is

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
I am sick of the creative driver issues.. seems something is never working right and you have to d/l tons of fixes.

You might want to consider a different brand all together..

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
i've got the X-Fi Titanium, its PCI-E im guessing thats what you're going for? personally i love it, sounds better than my X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatality Pro. dont worry about the Fatality crap, thats just a name. it was supposed to mean something back when games like BF2142 game out, where the onboard 64mb of XRAM was supposed to help with taking the load off games by caching the sound data. dunno if thats still what its meant to do.

but get the regular Titanium if thats the card you want, save a bit of money.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryBummer
View Post

I am sick of the creative driver issues.. seems something is never working right and you have to d/l tons of fixes.

You might want to consider a different brand all together..

What driver issues? There's really none with X-fi cards and Windows 7 or Vista. Really gets blown out of proportion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're a gamer, X-fi is a must because of the exclusive EAX 5.0-support, it makes a big difference. There's no real difference between the Fatal1ty Pro and regular Titanium, the X-RAM doesn't do any difference in 99% of today's games. And yes, you do hear a difference between different soundcards regardless if you're using the digital output or not.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

A good sound card really isn't needed with Z-5500's. They're just not good enough to take advantage of a card like that. Something like an Xtreme Gamer/Music would be more than fine.

They won't take full advantage of the card, but I have to say I disagree. He will notice a difference from onboard, that is without a doubt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralCuster44
View Post

My friend has a creative sound blaster x-fi xtreme gamer for sale for 40$ if your looking its a great card I hear it all the time and its great...
http://www.overclock.net/audio/69056...eme-gamer.html

For him that might not be such a bad solution. I just feel like if he's already dishing out 40, why not just add another 25-40 and futureproof your purchase? Xonar DX would be a step above that..still having headphones to game with would make that purchase a definite. Without headphones an XtremeMusic might be great for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohzer0
View Post

The way i see it the XFi will be sufficient for you and your Z5500 setup. I can strongly say that you probably wont notice the difference between your choices of soundcards but dont take my word for it.

Will you ever be gaming with headphones?

He'll notice a difference. Maybe not the most amazing differences with his speakers, but he should notice differences. The largest differences you'll hear are clarity, positional and they way certain sounds are perceived. In Modern Warfare 2 when that annoying clicking sound used to sound off when you were getting ready to play a game it was like tick tick tick and pretty dull, but with a sound card it sounds so different. You'll also be able to hear people reloading from the other side of the map and can pick out sounds that you never heard before. It's really amazing how much a sound card did for me and I don't even have as good speakers as he does. I have crappy X-540s, but at least I game with AD700s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrStalker
View Post

If you're a gamer, X-fi is a must because of the exclusive EAX 5.0-support, it makes a big difference. There's no real difference between the Fatal1ty Pro and regular Titanium, the X-RAM doesn't do any difference in 99% of today's games. And yes, you do hear a difference between different soundcards regardless if you're using the digital output or not.

No it's not. EAX is only important for Windows XP.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simca View Post
They won't take full advantage of the card, but I have to say I disagree. He will notice a difference from onboard, that is without a doubt.
That's why I recommended the cheaper Xtreme Gamer/Music. They wouldn't tell the difference between that and something more expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello, i have a question regarding windows 10.

cause of the free update i am maybe tempted to use it. looks like creative will patch in october a update for their driver, are the soundcard drivers already working out of the box from windows10 itself maybe without installing them seperatly?

or should i use windows 7 or windows 8 drivers?

someone already has experience with this?

e: because i read now about driver compatibility mode, will that work flawless?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wow, 5 year necro...

From what I know, Windows 8/8.1 drivers will work with Windows 10 at this time.

That may change. If it does, you will need to get new drivers (or if none are available, a new card) to use with Windows 10.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts