Overclock.net banner

Should Credit Hoarding during BGB be accepted?

• Yes

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 60.7%

Credit Hoarding during the BGB Events [Please add your input]

1750 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  jcpiont23
So with the recent issue that was brought up in the now closed BGB8 thread, I feel that it is necessary to get a full input on this whole issue that I am defining as "Credit Hoarding". You might be wondering what in the world that means. Well, it's a simple thing. You have work units. When they complete, they get sent back to the project server. You get credits almost instantly (depending on project). Credit hoarding is the act of holding onto the completed work units and uploading them when the BOINCers Gone Bonkers event start, thus giving you a boost in the credit race.

While there is no real way of actually policing this action, by having it clearly defined on whether this should be acceptable or not is important for our team in order to not have issues like we have had recently in the future.

[NOTE: Please keep the discussion civil. Failure to do so could lead to problems]
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer11200;14172950
So with the recent issue that was brought up in the now closed BGB8 thread, I feel that it is necessary to get a full input on this whole issue that I am defining as "Credit Hoarding". You might be wondering what in the world that means. Well, it's a simple thing. You have work units. When they complete, they get sent back to the project server. You get credits almost instantly (depending on project). Credit hoarding is the act of holding onto the completed work units and uploading them when the BOINCers Gone Bonkers event start, thus giving you a boost in the credit race.

While there is no real way of actually policing this action, by having it clearly defined on whether this should be acceptable or not is important for our team in order to not have issues like we have had recently in the future.

[NOTE: Please keep the discussion civil. Failure to do so could lead to problems]
I actually didn't answer your poll, because I'm not sure quite how to answer...I think I agree with Tex, as well as others, on this one, according to the current state/rules of BGB I really have no issue with it at all. As has been stated, we're simply racing against a static number, and once 5k or 20k or 50k has been passed anything above and beyond is just icing on the cake, but it doesn't change anything. I think if we were to make this a race against other members of the team, then point hoarding would need to be eliminated. I do not personally have a good way to do this other than asking everyone to delete all their stuff and start fresh. I know that's not technically "policing" people because we're mainly relying on their word, but as far as I can see from the active participants in this section most seem to genuinely care about the cause and the team. You will always have people looking to get the competitive edge in everything so i'm sure point hoarding will not go away, so as long as we keep this as a race against credits i see no problem with hoarding...

If we were to change to racing against other members of the team, how about this for a suggestion? Could we simply make everyone crunch the same projects for BGB? As in, for this past BGB everyone MUST crunch leiden, seti, and wuprop? or maybe even make everyone crunch one project for those two days, to really make it a race of who can get the most hardware up and contributing for those two days and whose hardware is the best? That way all the WUs are basically the same and the only two external factors would be the amt of computers an individual has crunching and how fast their gear is. That would seem to level the playing field quite a bit, and we would only lose two days of crunching on any projects that we might rather run. Just a thought...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.