Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a new gtx 260 216 happily folding away now,

and today while im on the comp i watched it complete some 8,000 step WU..
ive had 3 of these in a row now, and they really take a long time to complete..

my points from them go, 1,888...1,888...353... WTH?!?!?!

right now im folding some 10,000 step WU ...and it is usually the 353..

anyways i have no idea what happened..or even how..
also have a freakish suspicion that some WUs are being lost..
i dont know..

but i had to complain about this...

·
Registered
861 Posts
there are no 10000 point WUs, just 1888, 7xx, 511 and 353's {cant remember the 700 pointer exact number}. i think your looking at the number of steps the WU has.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,931 Posts
I believe he is refering to the amount of steps when you hold the mouse over the folding icon in systray. For example 250/10000. Those are not the points the WUs are worth. Just how many steps it has to complete.

So no you are not getting screwed or anything. Just make sure the points are being logged to Stanford and you are all set.

Look in fahmon to find out how many points each WU is actually worth.

The complete list for nvidia GPU is:

384 Rare
472 Very rare
768 Rare

·
Once more into the Fold
2,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenchimuyo93
View Post

opps forgot abot the 384s and 472s. guess they dont stick out cause they arent seen much.

Yeah I have been monitoring these because I just switched GPUs and I havent seen any 353/768 in at least a month. I actually had a few 472 last week so I should change that to Rare and the others to Very Rare.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
I'm finally seeing more 353s today, been all 1888s & (mostly) 511s.
I'm waiting for stanford to bring on more 472s, only time I've seen over 11000ppd on a 285 & I'd like to see what the new 295s can do with one.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by franz
View Post

I believe he is refering to the amount of steps when you hold the mouse over the folding icon in systray. For example 250/10000. Those are not the points the WUs are worth. Just how many steps it has to complete.

So no you are not getting screwed or anything. Just make sure the points are being logged to Stanford and you are all set.

Look in fahmon to find out how many points each WU is actually worth.

so it was the steps i was referring to.
the points are being logged..but it just sucks because i was expecting the 1888 points instead of a wimpy 353... and they were all the same WUs...

might as well get fahmon set up...might help.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

cant get fahmon working...
just trying to get this 260 going!!!
been using the gpu2 client...

filth foul foul filthy foul!

edit: got it working now!! *whew* i have no idea what kind of difference it will make...but i guess it's good to have

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by loop0001
View Post

so it was the steps i was referring to.
the points are being logged..but it just sucks because i was expecting the 1888 points instead of a wimpy 353... and they were all the same WUs...

might as well get fahmon set up...might help.

the wimpy 353 is the best wu to get. it gives more ppd than any other. the 1888's aren't bad, but the 353 are the best. now that you have fahmon working, you'll notice that different wu's take longer than others.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mmk...you're missing my point..
oh well tho..
yeup different wu's different timing..

random note...wonder who changed the title of the thread to "a new 10,000pt wu?" ... ??

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
There actually are WU's worth more than 10k points... but not for the GPU client.

About two weeks ago Stanford started offering massive work units valued at approximately 25k base points:

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2009...work-unit.html

However, these work units are meant for high end linux machines that have 8+ physical cores(people running multi-socket boards). IIRC Stanford does claim that an overclocked I7 with hyperthreading enabled can meet the deadlines(barely), so some of the OCN community might be able to contribute to this aspect of the project.

Also, the points system for these WU's is completely different. WU's have a base value, which gets multiplied by a time factor. The amount of points you get depends on how quickly you complete the work unit. Machines that barely meet the deadlines will get PPD "roughly comparable to standard SMP". The machines that will get a PPD bonus for the new WU's will be the ones that can complete the WU's ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gosh that first post screwed it up for me

interesting deal with the massive new WUs out jpz, buuuuuuuuuuuuutt

lemme try this again.. here's what happened..

:small timeline:

8000 step WU ....completed...1888 points

then

8000 step WU ....completed...1888 points

then

8000 step WU ....completed...353 points...

!??!?!?!?!

then

10000 step WU ....completed...353 points (which hasnt shown up at all)

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i didnt have fahmon then...(earlier today) now i have it running....

hope i dont get more mess ups like that...

·
Premium Member
46,116 Posts
If you're using EOC to check your scores, they update every 3 hours, so your more recent WUs won't have shown up there yet. I think the Stanford site updates every 2 hours, so if you just finished a WU it won't show for a while.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac View Post
If you're using EOC to check your scores, they update every 3 hours, so your more recent WUs won't have shown up there yet. I think the Stanford site updates every 2 hours, so if you just finished a WU it won't show for a while.
i check both...been...*checks clock*....7 hours?? yeah..

lol sad but ive had all day just bein lazy ...so folding has been the fixation.

with a few rounds of COD4 mp here and there...god i missed it..

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a bit messed up... but now we are good guys...
the 1888 point WU finally showed up..

this was so strange, but im happy i finally have my points

remember...i completed that last WU around 11am or so...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts