Cooling: Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling System $85

Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Superclocked $729

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-1600C9D-16GXM 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 $179

HDD1: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD $149

HDD2: Western Digital Green 3TB WD30EZRX $189

Power supply: Corsair HX-750 $189

Optical drive: Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-Ray Disc Writer OEM $109

Total $2808 + shipping

Anything stand out as needing improvement? Anything unnecessary or just plain wrong? (e.g.: probably a bit overkill on the PSU(?), and I've never been much good at choosing RAM).... Aiming for a strong, reliable build that won't dissapoint, will run a 24/7 overclock and have a fairly neutral colour theme - white/black/silver/blue.

I know Australia gets a tough deal on pricing... even so, for parts purchasing I'd rather stick with what's available through www.pccasegear.com because they have done the right thing by me in the past, making me a happy loyal customer.

Thanks guys,
Sam

edit: here's my own PC if anyone's interested to see it

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Your PSU is overkill. Go for a 750-800W one and you might save yourself 200$.
You could use those 200$ you saved on buying an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. A little bit more expensive than the ASRock X79 Extreme9, but my personal favorite motherboard.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Also, the Crucial M4 1280 GB is 20$ cheaper and a recommendation of many other people.

I also agree with Swift, go for the H100. It's worth it.

The LG WH12LS38K is also 20$ than the pioneer one and most likely just as good.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Castiel View Post

Looks fine, but considered any other coolers? Perhaps a Corsair H100, or maybe a Noctua D-14?
I have a NH-D14 on my own PC - it's a great cooler. I decided I'd rather go with a simple water loop on this one just for something clean and different. How much gain is there going to be with the H100? Worth the extra $70?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVolta425 View Post

Your PSU is overkill. Go for a 750-800W one and you might save yourself 200$.
You could use those 200$ you saved on buying an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. A little bit more expensive than the ASRock X79 Extreme9, but my personal favorite motherboard.
I run the AX1200 in my system and I love that it's just so overkill!
smile.gif
However, for this system I see no real benefit so I'm amending post #1 with a revised PSU. Thanks.

I do like the ASUS RoG boards and I run one in my own PC. The only reason I wouldn't go for it in this to be completely honest is the huge visual clash that'll occur bringing so much red into the system.
Quote:
Good read - thanks. I'll have another look through what's available. They are sold out of a lot of the nVidia high-end stuff at the moment which makes things tricky. Have amended first post with a GTX 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVolta425 View Post

Also, the Crucial M4 1280 GB is 20$ cheaper and a recommendation of many other people.
I also agree with Swift, go for the H100. It's worth it.
The LG WH12LS38K is also 20$ than the pioneer one and most likely just as good.
Amazon won't ship those to my address, another reason I like PCCaseGear for my parts.. thanks though!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nobody going to suggest some better suited RAM? That's a surprise
smile.gif
maybe I got it right this time.

Also, just a thought - I haven't read much yet about Ivy Bridge, should I consider moving to that, with maybe an overclocked i5, for a gaming build? Or would that be selling myself short given the price bracket this is sitting in? I guess the hexacore would be a more capable all-round package anyway..? *lost*

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
If you're just gonna game and occasionally do some photoshopping, go for IB.
If you're like me and want it all and/or want the best of the best, or if you're someone who renders videos on a regular basis, go for SB-E.
For IB, the ASUS Z77 Sabertooth and ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe are recommendations. For a processor on Ivy Bridge, go for the i5 3570K or if you have the spare money, the i7 3770K although there's not much difference gaming-wise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts