Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
all personal preference.SLI seems more redily available but ppl on here will argue one way or the other which one is better till thier blue in the face. Either one is fine i see no signifigant difference. All personal preference

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
SLI was shaky at first but now you can pretty much guarantee to get 2 exact cards...pop them in, switch your BIOS to SLI install the drivers and you're good to go. Install shouldn't take much more than 10-15 from Hardware to Drivers being completed.

Crossfire on the other hand is new and when SLI was new it was buggy so don't expect CrossFire to be what it's all cracked up to be for at least 6 months to a year until they get all the bugs out. You won't know of a lot of bugs if you're basing your finding off Lab results, mass production will tel a lot of it. Even when some well-respected Lab Review Sites tried CrossFire they noted that it was buggy and hard to set-up

As far as performance, it's really up to the cards being used, but if you're going to go with any dual-GPU set-up I would do an SLI setup before Cross Fire because you wont have as many hassles, since pretty much SLI is solid.

Also you need to buy a CrossFire "Master Card" and there's only a few out there (x800XT, X1900XT) Not sure on the first but there is definately a x1900XT MasterCard

·
Premium Member
20,530 Posts
you don't need exact matching cards any longer with SLI either. Also, SLI is now bridgeless as well. Nvidia has a big head start on ATI. AtI will likely catch up (unless Nvidia brings those quad gpu's down in price). I'd say for the next six months to a year SLI will be the best choice.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
my personal preference is SLI as it is much more tested and proven. Also you have more options for cards. You don't have to get a more expensive master card just to be able to run dual cards. Plus, I like Nvidia cards more than ATI. I ran ati cards for years till I got a 6600GTlast year and I've been hooked since.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
SLI and CF are pretty much idneticle in terms of performance, now SLI X16 is another story, it offers full X16 bandwidth to both cards in SLI mode, CrossFire with the new ATI SB580 chipset will also offer this, whenever that comes out. At the moment SLI is the better choice for both price and ease of use/hasslefreeness. That said, neither SLI nor CrossFire is really cost effective, you'll never see even close to double the performance and that's just the hard truth.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar

you don't need exact matching cards any longer with SLI either. Also, SLI is now bridgeless as well. Nvidia has a big head start on ATI. AtI will likely catch up (unless Nvidia brings those quad gpu's down in price). I'd say for the next six months to a year SLI will be the best choice.

it's true that sli is bridgeless but you do get better performance w/ the sli bridge so whenever possible it is still suggested that you use it.

·
Premium Member
20,530 Posts
Thats what I thought but when rebuilt my second rig and moved over the matched 6600GT's I actually forgot to put the bridge on for 2 days. I ran benches and then when I realized my error put the bridge on and ran benches again. The numbers were virtually the same.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Neither SLi is worthless if oyur buying just for SLi, its better just to get the top of the end gaming card that outperforms the 2 SLi cards your are buying.....but i prefer SLi, because its been around for about a year now...and crossfire will have some bugs

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im an nivida fan all the way, ATI hasnt caught my eye at all, nvidia seems more original, ATI is just trying to keep up with nvidia by comming out with the crossfire deal even though nvidia was the originator of the concept, even the crossfire sends bad vibes, SLI seems more professional imo, no offense to the ATI fans, its just how i feel.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

SLI and CF are pretty much idneticle in terms of performance

Wrong. SLi gives better performance (as of now) than CF and you don't need a master card. SLi all the way unless you want to wait for ATi to get good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts