Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does this crossfire work exactly...will any ATI card work as long as you have the ATI crossfire chipset? That adapter would hook up to any card I'd think. I see some cards that come out and say "Croosfire" and I see others where the only mention of it having crossfire capabilities are the user reviews on newegg...which I know not to completely trust.

I am highly doubting that any ATI can do this...but I figured I'd ask before I jump my nVidia fence.

Also...

Do you need two of the same crossfire card? For instance could I add a cheaper 1600XT to help out a X850? It sounds like there may be some tolerance in there for such things.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm

How does this crossfire work exactly...will any ATI card work as long as you have the ATI crossfire chipset? That adapter would hook up to any card I'd think. I see some cards that come out and say "Croosfire" and I see others where the only mention of it having crossfire capabilities are the user reviews on newegg...which I know not to completely trust.

I am highly doubting that any ATI can do this...but I figured I'd ask before I jump my nVidia fence.

Also...

Do you need two of the same crossfire card? For instance could I add a cheaper 1600XT to help out a X850? It sounds like there may be some tolerance in there for such things.

The adapter is external unlike the Nvidia SLi setup.. And yes, you need to have a crossfire chipset, but there very expensive and dont OC that well. Yes, you need to of the same exact cards to run crossfire (ex. 2x x850's insead of 1 1600xt and a x850) it's the same with SLi.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh shoot well that's what I expected...SLI is more simple in determining if can the card can SLI or not...it has to have the connections for it. The crossfire cable should plug into any thing.

missed one thing though...

I know you need the ATI 200 chipset for Corssfire...but could I crossfire two 9800's with it? That is my main question, because I see other people saying they are crossfiring cards that do not have the word "Crossfire" in their name.

I think two 1600XTs would do a nice job and would be relatively cheap...if it works that is
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,952 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm

ahh shoot well that's what I expected...SLI is more simple in determining if can the card can SLI or not...it has to have the connections for it. The crossfire cable should plug into any thing.

missed one thing though...

I know you need the ATI 200 chipset for Corssfire...but could I crossfire two 9800's with it? That is my main question, because I see other people saying they are crossfiring cards that do not have the word "Crossfire" in their name.

I think two 1600XTs would do a nice job and would be relatively cheap...if it works that is

Uh, 9800's are AGP so no... you need 2x PCIe cards
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

Uh, 9800's are AGP so no... you need 2x PCIe cards


*slaps self* Duh I over looked that...but I was using a card for an example. I have had a little experience with a 9800...

Any way...would any two PCI-E ATI cards work for crossfire?

Planning on making my fire ATI/Intel power rig and I'm collecting any and all info I can get. Every thing has been AMD and nVidia for me so far and I figured I should try the other side of the fence.
 

·
Old Timer
Joined
·
4,895 Posts
You need a Crossfie "Master Card" to use Crossfire. They have the "Crossfire Edition" tag insted of XT or XL (so it would be X1800 Crossfire Edition or X1800 CF). You can then combine the Crossfire Edition card with any other card from the series (I.E., a X1800 CF with a X1800 XT). You also need the Crossfire chipset, as people have said. You CANNOT use Crossfire with out a Master Card.

EDIT: The Intel 975x chipset is supposed to support Crossfire as well, so if you wait untill that comes out (it should only be another couple of weeks), get that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,430 Posts
You need three things to run Crossfire, a Crossfire certified motherboard with the Radeon Xpress 200 chipset, the Crossfire Master Card, which will specifically identify itself as such (currently, can only be gotten for Radeon X800 generation, Radeon X850 generation, and Radeon X1800 generation), and a Crossfire ready card, which has to be of the same generation as your Crossfire Master Card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Actually,you can get two different cards,but need the crossfire edition card X850 or the X800.Crossfire Edition X850 cards can only work with the X850 series and the Crossfire Edition X800 cards only work with the X800 series.Plus,you can hook on two X1300s or X1600s and without using the external cable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,430 Posts
With nVidia's latest drivers making SLi requirements less strict, and considering SLi has had a chance to mature, I think SLi is better. Better motherboards, better chipset refinements, and more cards and better flexibility with the cards. Performance-wise, they're about the same from what I've seen, but unfortunately it's about impossible to do a true comparison since ATi and nVidia's cards are different so you can't really do a compairon of just the multi-GPU technologies. I don't like the external little dongle thing for Crossfire, the Crossfire cards are still quite expensive and hard to come by, and paying the $400 price tag for the X800 Crossfire edition card to run with your $200 X800 Pro, only to have the X800CF horribly downclocked and crippled is pretty dumb. I also don't like the little expansion card you have to use in the Crossfire motherboards when running single cards compared to SLi being able to be enabled in BIOS with new chipsets and motherboards... But like I said, SLi has been on the market for more than a year and has had time to mature, while Crossfire is practicaly brand new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,994 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by n4e

So what do you guys think is better? SLI or CrossFire?

From what I hear CrossFire is more efficient but it's not fully developed yet...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top