Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this today and it seems might be helping some of my driver issues. I will know more after some longer stability testing.

ULPS saves power by sorta disabling the second card when it is not needed.

Here is how to do it:

Go to registry and disable Ulps:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control \\Cl ass\\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

and change "EnableUlps" to 0 under the 0000 and 0001 or 0003 keys.

Let me know if this helps anyone. Just throwing it out there. Please chime in if this has already been tried and doesn't help anything.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by badger6021 View Post
how do you do it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biscuits_N_Gravy View Post
Go to registry and disable Ulps:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control \\Cl ass\\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

and change "EnableUlps" to 0 under the 0000 and 0001 or 0003 keys.
Right there.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Afterburner will crash when applying any new setting with ULPS enabled and Crossfire. So if you want to use Afterburner and Crossfire, you have to disable ULPS.

Simple.

·
Registered
389 Posts
yep, i had to do this just to get my 2nd 5870 to work for more than several minutes in crossfire, and even when it was working - the clocks, temp, and fan would all show up as 0's in ccc. also should mention that i had to disable it (change registry value from 1 to 0 ) 6 times, and then reboot ofc, before it was completely disabled.

here is a link to another recent thread in which doing this helped another member.
http://www.overclock.net/ati/698960-...ease-help.html

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
this will let you overclock using msi afterburner with xfire 5000series cards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I've got a problem that I can't seem to fix and can't seem to find a solution to on teh webz. But, this seems to be the best place for me. I've got two 5850s with a 890FXA-UD5.

Now my conundrum is this: I can't over-volt the 2nd 5850.
It doesn't show up in MSI AB, only the 1st card does (the voltage settings), and I am able to OC/OV that card just fine (Pic related). I've had no problems with crossfire, both cards get used just fine and both are superb (except for when I play APB, I have to disable Catalyst AI otherwise models become in visible). Now, do you guys think this will work for me? I've got MSI's Unofficial OCing enabled, tried swapping the cards, etc.

Any other helpful information would be of great appreciation.
Thanks.

This is with voltage tool in MSI AB up and the cards syncing in the settings. :/

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
after a couple of super quick google searches, it sure looks like the 585X-ZNFC does not support voltage control.

if that is indeed the case, i'd suggest either selling it, and purchasing one that does, or you could certainly use it in another box, and again - buy another that supports it for your gaming rig. that's just what i would personally do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude guy bro View Post
selling it, and purchasing one that does
What would be the best way to sell this card? Ebay? lol. To be honest I am willing to spend a good 50 bucks plus to get a 5850 that can OV. I mean my other 5850 can get to 1ghz core and 1250ram with ease. which surpases the 5870 at stock. I just don't plan on buying the 6xxx when they come out, so I want these cards to last.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBeastWithinUsAll View Post
What would be the best way to sell this card? Ebay? lol. To be honest I am willing to spend a good 50 bucks plus to get a 5850 that can OV. I mean my other 5850 can get to 1ghz core and 1250ram with ease. which surpases the 5870 at stock. I just don't plan on buying the 6xxx when they come out, so I want these cards to last.

ebay works fine if you have some decent feedback, and generally know how to tell a bad buyer from a good one...

for me personally, i'd prolly just sell it on craigslist, if a co-worker, friend, or family member did not want a deal. obv be careful selling on craigslist too... again, pretty easy to tell who's gonna be legit. often times people who don't have ebay will pay a bit more on craigslist.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerican View Post
under the location you said, i dont see the EnableUlps, but i did a search and found it in another amd folder. is that fine?
some people use search, but i had much more luck manually finding them, as they are all sort of near each other anyway. as long as you can find all of them, and disable, you're good to go.

i think i had to disable it 5 or 6 times in different spots before it actually worked (disabled).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.