Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there

I was wondering, and I havn't seem to find an answer, so i will post it here.

How manye CrossFire Cables do you use for combining your graphic cards with?

I have seen different setup, some is using 1 cable, other is using 2 cables, for combining only 2 card.

So my question is: In a 2 Crads Crossfire setup - have many crossfire cables is needed? 1 & 2 - or dosn't it really matter?

I was considering adding the second cable for my setup, only for the look - but what do you guys say - Can you give me a reason.

Thanks in advantage

- FreakaZoidDK

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
single bridge for crossfire setup.

I do not know if the second bridge will do much of anything. I suppose you can put one there for show. I will let someone with more knowledge to speak if it will degrade performance.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
2 cards = 1 bridge
3 cards = 2 bridges
4 cards = 3 bridges

using 2 cards and 2 bridges will give you a very very very very tiny small chance of performance issues, or it could give you a mega tiny chance of an extra 1fps, but usually does nothing 99.9% of the time.

AMD do not reccomend 2 bridges for 2 cards. Something to do with the drivers i believe. Follow my guide above and you won't go wrong.

• Rep+
Reactions: FreakaZoidDK

·
Iconoclast
30,610 Posts
You need one for a two-card setup.

I have no idea if two offers any theoretical advantage, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I think I got a clear answer for my question - 1 cable - just as I have for my setup now.

Would it be wrong to add the other for show? ..

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
From the responses above, you can stick the second one for show. But there is a slight chance that it may actually cause you some issues. So if it does, just take it out (and do whatever else is necessary to fix the issue). Just don't blame it on the drivers
biggrin.gif

·
Banned
4,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreakaZoidDK
View Post

So I think I got a clear answer for my question - 1 cable - just as I have for my setup now.

as stated earlier, some people have reported issues with 2 cables, but there is nothing to gain except for asthetics, so install it and if you dont notice any lag (and you WOULD notice it if it were there) then your all set.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Run a bench. write the result down. add second bridge. repeat test. compare results. Remove or leave the 2nd bridge acordingly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW;13100686
Run a bench. write the result down. add second bridge. repeat test. compare results. Remove or leave the 2nd bridge acordingly.
I will to that - pretty easy - already run one benchmark today lol
smile.gif

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Is there anything else i can help you with concerning Ati/AMD cards or Crossfire? I have used both Cf and SLI tri and quad setups in the past.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well - Maybe you can help me setting up that progra .. what its called .. something with "grid" .. For my eyefinity - so that when I maximise a window it will not expand to all 3 screens, but only the one activee - havn't seemd to get it to work probaly.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well - Maybe you can help me setting up that progra .. what its called .. something with "grid" .. For my eyefinity - so that when I maximise a window it will not expand to all 3 screens, but only the one activee - havn't seemd to get it to work probaly.

I don't have experience with eyefinity. At a guess, check CCC settings on the display tab. CCC will try and walk you through the setup of eyefinity. Sorry if i have not answered your question fully.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
No problems my friend. Good Luck. btw, start a thread about the eyefinity issue you have

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah;13106863
On a side note, which connector do you put the bridge on if you are running 2-way only? Does it matter?
tongue.gif
Good quesion actutually
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Hmm, I have two on mine, but I just went Crossfire so I didn't think it would matter. Now I think I'm gonna run a benchmark, then pull one off, run the benchmark, keep one on, but move it to the other connector, and then decide what one is best.

You guys think the World in Conflict is a good choice for bench, or should I just run Heaven?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts