Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I sold my 5970 to a friend and picked up 2 6970s and xfired them and it's a great performance boost but as I was starting to over clock I noticed that I my motherboard is 16x by 4x pci express now I'm going to order a new board but I'm wondering how much performance and I'm losing having them run 16x by 4x?

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
You're loosing some performance. 16x-4x is only useable for the MainGPU - PhysXGPU concept, not for CF/SLi.
The first card has too much bandwidth it can't use, the second one is hugely bottlenecked.
Get at least 8x-8x
smile.gif

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,756 Posts
Not as much as you would think, but you are losing some performance. I would spring for a board with at least 8x8x and the loss will basically be unnoticeable compared to 16x16x. 16x and 4x will cause somewhat of a bottleneck on second card though.

Heres a link that may help somewhat.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...caling/25.html

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
The ASUS Crosshair IV Formula is a great board, I had it before.

However, bear in mind you'll still have some bottleneck on that 1090T, I've had a X6 1055T @ 4.1Ghz with my x2 6970's and I still had some bottleneck.

If you want to unleash the rough power of those cards, I'd suggest upgrading to the Sandy Bridge route

If not, that Crosshair IV Formula will serve you quite well, I had it on my hands, great motherboard! Definitely recommend it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts