Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up my 7970+7950 setup today.The 7950 is installed in the top slot and the 7970 on the bottom slot of my motherboard.In gpuz the bus interface of the 7950 shows pci-e 3.0×[email protected] 3.0 whereas the bus interface of the 7970 is shown as pci-e [email protected] 1.1 Why is it 1.1 instead of 3.0? My motherboard is an msi z87-gd65 gaming mobo and the cpu is 4770k.I believe the top two pci-e slots on my mobo is gen 3.0.Then why is it showing as 1.1 for the 7970 on the bottom slot?

Also, heaven 4.0 has very bad screen flickering and the colours are all greenish when xfire is enabled.When I disable xfire the colours become normal having no greenish tint to it and also there is no screen flickering.I am on 13.6 beta 2 with 13.5 cap installed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's because you have ulps enabled. You can disable it by going to "Regedit" top left corner click edit and then search. Click find and type "enableulps". Once it comes up right mouse click and select "modify" and change from 1 to 0. Next click edit again and select "find next". Disregard enableupls_na and select find next again. Continue this process until it finds them all.

Also you should use the 13.8 beta driver for crossfire.

·
Old / New to OC.net
801 Posts
@ OP, if I were you I will put the 7970 on top or 1st slot. Also, you could click the "?" beside that bus interference. and Im sure it will appear as it pci-e 3.0×[email protected] 3.0

@ CMAC, why would he use 13.8 beta? any CCC could detect crossfire. Well I didnt want to use beta drivers as it is beta. Im still using latest 13.4 and I dont have problem with playing metro last light. (yet). DOnt know if other games will be though i wish its not. and also, initial 13.8 beta has more reports of problem actually than benefits....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disabled ulps in the registry and it was still showing as 1.1 instead of 3.0.Ran the render test and both the gpus ran at pci-e [email protected] 3.0.

Heaven benchmark still has that greenish yellowish colours and shadow flickering issue.I got a score of 1800 on heaven @1920x1080 res,ultra settings, tessalation extreme, 8xAA.Is the score ok or low? My gpu clock speeds were:
7950-1150/1500
7970-1050/1500

Also how do I monitor the load and clock speeds of my gpu when running heaven?

·
Old / New to OC.net
801 Posts
This greenish yellowish colours issue, does it appear only during heaven? Maybe you could try other benchmarking like 3dmark 11, or other benchmarking in games. Bioshock has a nice benchmarking or tomb raider.. etc...

and also, you could try switching the gpu's first slot and 2nd slot..... and try test them each card one by one. you will find out if one of your cards are giving that issue.

·
Registered
491 Posts
13.8 has the frame pacing fix and makes for smoother game play. OP stated he had a stutter issue so thought 13.8 might help as I use them for my 7950's and 7870 xt's without issue.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox View Post

@ CMAC, why would he use 13.8 beta? any CCC could detect crossfire. Well I didnt want to use beta drivers as it is beta. Im still using latest 13.4 and I dont have problem with playing metro last light. (yet). DOnt know if other games will be though i wish its not. and also, initial 13.8 beta has more reports of problem actually than benefits....
The beta drivers have massive improvements towards crossfire, including fixing the problem he is currently having with the colour issue and any frame stuttering he may encounter.

OP what is in your rig, maybe that will help us.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.My system configuration is:
i7 [email protected]
Msi z87 gd-65 gaming
8gb dual channel 1600mhz ram
Corsair hx 750 psu
WD Caviar black 1TB HDD
Sapphire 7970 dual-x+sapphire 7950 vapor-x crossfire
Crossover 27q led-p 2560×1440 monitor

Played bioshock infinite and noticed the same screen flickering which I did not previously have with my single 7970.No colour issues in this game as in heaven.Is it because of the drivers? Also I downloaded the 13.8 beta as well as 13.4 whql drivers.Do I need to install caps seperately with them?

·
Registered
491 Posts
No caps needed with 13.8 because fixes are already included but 13.4 you should use caps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so tried 13.8 and heaven crashed with a red screen at the start.Also bioshock infinite crashed at the beginning itself.Both the gpu's are at stock speeds.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock2702 View Post

Ok, so tried 13.8 and heaven crashed with a red screen at the start.Also bioshock infinite crashed at the beginning itself.Both the gpu's are at stock speeds.

Did you completely uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Quote:

Did you completely uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones?
Yes I did uninstall the old drivers completely.Can you tell me if I am missing any steps in uninstalling the old drivers?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Quote:

Yes I did uninstall the old drivers completely.Can you tell me if I am missing any steps in uninstalling the old drivers?

Not if you don't list the steps you took...
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif
I followed tsm's steps outlined in The AMD how to thread.I just skipped deleting the bits from the registry as it was mentioned optional.What method do you advice?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif
I followed tsm's steps outlined in The AMD how to thread.I just skipped deleting the bits from the registry as it was mentioned optional.What method do you advice?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Quote:

Follow EVERYTHING in that thread step by step. The registry bits are the most important part but for some reason isnt mentioned.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried even the 13.4 whql with 13.5 caps and getting screen flickering in heaven and bioshock infinite. Atleast they did not crash like in the 13.8 beta.It is like horizontal lines moving across the screen, I guess it is not stuttering as the fps is smooth.What do I do now?

·
Old / New to OC.net
801 Posts
Quote:

Tried even the 13.4 whql with 13.5 caps and getting screen flickering in heaven and bioshock infinite. Atleast they did not crash like in the 13.8 beta.It is like horizontal lines moving across the screen, I guess it is not stuttering as the fps is smooth.What do I do now?

Try to uninstall old drivers by using the AMD uninstall utility
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

and then run ccleaner to clean your registry.

Or you can download and install Driver fusion
http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion

Reboot computer your computer in safe mode and then run Driver fusion. Clean ATI/AMD related, and also NVIDIA.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST testing the card INDIVIDUALLY. In this way, you will determine if one of them are giving problems.

It doesnt matter which AMD driver you install. A faulty card cannot be repaired by a driver.

Check also your cables. monitor cables, Power cables for your cards. Ensure they are not loose.

I notice that you have a crossover monitor. I have a crossover 3020mdp monitor and during test, benchmarking, it flickers. Never have problem though when playing.

But I use my old 22" monitor for test cards and no flickering at all. Means card are fine. It turns out its the monitor......

edit: Playing around with registry is a no go for me. Especially windows. one mistake could lead to unbootable windows. Ensure to back registry before doing any changes...

You can disable ULPS using Sapphire Trixx https://www.sapphireselectclub.com/ssc/TriXX/

. And ensure to check for both cards. you can click upper left corner to select both cards. (under the big TRIXX sapphire Tweak utility). I havent tried Afterburner but I think you can disable that as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts