Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (of equal or comparable cost)

Votes: 2 18.2%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through careful research I have decided on replacements for my video card. I have landed on the 2 x 7970 GHz 3gb (other considerations where 2x680 or a single titan)

The former was disregarded due to lower overall performance while the later as I don't think the performance justified the cost

One lingering issue remains however. While I am certain the 7970s will pull acceptable frames I am highly unsure or their stability/latency. (I can find little data regarding the issue)
From what I have heard the latencies of NVidia sli is better than CFX while the titan has no latency issues (virtue of being a single gpu)

For those using catalyst 13.2 and up have you noticed significant latency issues, should I perhaps be considering alternative products?

Buyer's remorse sucks, especially if you are shelling out near a grand…

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
From my personal experience with 7950CFX, I can tell you I have no issues what so ever with the latencies. Also, the 7970s and 7950s seems to be the best for the prices right now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the 7870 in crossfire and i have to say that for 480 buck for the 2 of them was a steal of a deal and they are great performers but 2 7970 for around 800 bucks on sale not sure that the performance is worth the cost i get around 60- 70 fps in most games but have to lay off the aa a little so even if i could keep the aa and get 60-80 fps i personal dont think that is worth the cost but thats why i dont have the 7970s and money was not the issue when i purchased these cards at christmas i just not sure 320 bucks more for what i could see a little performance boost. As for the 680s i not a Nvida fan so i couldnt even put in a opinion on them dont use them none of my friends have one. But i think that the 7970 are still better performance to price ratio in comparison to the 680s for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The general sentiment seems to support the decision i was going to go with,
but still this boat seems a little one-sided. Any user of nividia (or even better both nivida/amd) mind putting in their 2 cents?

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
I have not had any issues with SLI as an Nvidia user. I have never owned any AMD cards so I can't make any judgements about them. But For price/performance the 79xx series seems to be the winner hands down. If you do go Nvidia, I would suggest 670 FTWs since they cosy less than a 680 but are so similar in performance.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think on paper the frame latency with CF ais higher than with SLI, but the consensus seems to be that it's not really observable. Might as well go for the best performance for your dollar which is exactly what you picked
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,224 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have never done cfx, only have done SLI. I would recommend it, I have never experienced or noticed the traditional complaints of dual gpus such as stutter. The set up is pretty easy, and once its set you can forget about it pretty much as nvidia is usually on top of their drivers.

*I too would recommend 670s in Sli over the 680s just because you get most of the power for a cheaper price. People say that 670s in Sli = 690 as far as performance goes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have SLI GTX 670 FTW's and I absolutely love the cards to death. They're limited slightly by only have 2gb vram over the 3gb that you'd be getting with the 7950/70 series, but I'm playing on a 1080p monitor. I have zero issues with my SLI setup, and so far I haven't noticed any stuttering in any games that I've played. That includes Metro 2033, BF3, Crysis 2/3, Planetside 2 etc etc.

i've been reading that the ATI flagship cards are best for multi-monitor/high resolution gaming. Regardless the ATI flagships are the best bang for the buck. Each card has different architecture so you'll definitely see ups and downs with any games that you play.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have SLI 680s and am very happy with them. The only game in which I experience stutter sometimes is Metro 2033, but that's a problem with the game; I had the same issue with other, single GPU setups. If you're going with nVidia cards I'd get 670s though, they're very close to 680s and given the disproportional price difference I honestly can't recommend 680s unless you simply must have the highest single-gpu card the 600 series has to offer.

I think the answers you're getting are a bit one-sided because you posted this in the ATI/AMD board, rather than General graphics cards.
wink.gif

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccroetger View Post

For those using catalyst 13.2 and up have you noticed significant latency issues, should I perhaps be considering alternative products?

Buyer's remorse sucks, especially if you are shelling out near a grand…

Thanks in advance
If you want to know the real gist of this latency pandemic follow along with this debate between myself in zinfinion. It's ironic, cuz it's the first time I got thru to someone in an green thread lol.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1363072/various-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-reviews/1320_40#post_19352474

·
Registered
5,382 Posts

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
CF 7970 will provide you with such beautiful results. You will give up physx, but that is minimal as it is available is so little games these days anyways. You will have a gaming system that is to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

CF 7970 will provide you with such beautiful results. You will give up physx, but that is minimal as it is available is so little games these days anyways. You will have a gaming system that is to be reckoned with.
he still can have additionally a cheap physix card if his board can hold it
biggrin.gif

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643553

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts