Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do people expect will provide the fastest performance inthe future? I have read that SLi can potentially give a 60% increase in performance over a single card but only on games which can effective support either AFR or SFR.

Whilst Crossfire cards supposely will see a performance rise in all games due to the addition of "scissor-rendering" or supertile and "superAA".

Could the technologically sound principle of supertiles calculation cutting compared to the relative labour intensity of AFR mean crossfire setups will out perform SLi?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Queequeg
Which do people expect will provide the fastest performance inthe future? I have read that SLi can potentially give a 60% increase in performance over a single card but only on games which can effective support either AFR or SFR.

Whilst Crossfire cards supposely will see a performance rise in all games due to the addition of "scissor-rendering" or supertile and "superAA".

Could the technologically sound principle of supertiles calculation cutting compared to the relative labour intensity of AFR mean crossfire setups will out perform SLi?
SLI vs. Crossfire doesn't mean anything. IMO it will come down to the individual cards. I think that the new approaches to rendering mass amounts of pixels/pixel operations will be a bigger factor than sli or crossfire. ATI is heading towards more pixel operations, while NVIDIA is focussed on pumping out a lot of pixels. Whichever one of these technilogies is better will be the better multi-card system in the future. The SLI / Crossfire technology is dependent on the graphics card. It could go either way.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
I think a site already did a comparison between the two. SLI pwn3d Crossfire. Crossfire is still in it's infancy and may become much better in the future.

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chim3ra
I think a site already did a comparison between the two. SLI pwn3d Crossfire. Crossfire is still in it's infancy and may become much better in the future.
Actually 2 X1800XTs in crossfire will beat 2 7800GTX 256s in SLI. Ive seen several benches that confirm it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by J3r3my
Actually 2 X1800XTs in crossfire will beat 2 7800GTX 256s in SLI. Ive seen several benches that confirm it.
It's still the card though. 1 X1800XT still beats 1 7800GTX 256.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
My take on all this dual card crap is that by the time I actually need 2 cards, they'll be onto a SLI2 or Crossfire2 setup. Until I see across the board support in all my games, I'm passing. By the time they both get their act together, I'll have an entirely new machine by then.

·
Registered
121 Posts
one things for sure.

SLI will nvidia's claim to the next gen of video rendering

and Crossfire will be ati's.

this technology will be just as effective in competing against the other as all the other tech's in the industry.

though, personally, atm i think that ATI's technology might be looking a little more into the future of rendering.

but then again,

who knows what Nvidia has up its sleeve?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by J3r3my
I was told that with SLI, the cards funcion at 8x, where as with CrossFire, both cards still run at a 16x speed through the PCI bridge. Is that why the CrossFire results have been better?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regulus
I was told that with SLI, the cards funcion at 8x, where as with CrossFire, both cards still run at a 16x speed through the PCI bridge. Is that why the CrossFire results have been better?
There are 2 SLI boards out now that offer 16X on both slots.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

No, because both Crossfire and SLi force the cards to run in x8 bandwidth (except with the new SLi32 chipset). Doesn't matter anyway, there's isn't much need for bandwidth. Two X1800XTs beat two 7800GTXs because one X1800XT beats one 7800GTX. You can't compare the technology directly because the variable of the card cannot be isolated.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I'd say that SLI is probably the bettter alternative. it's already been a proven performer and it is more future proof with dual 16x.

And, SLI can improve the performance of every game as well. I ran dual 6600GT's for a while and while I did not notice a gain right away with every game all I had to do was play around with the different rendering modes to find what worked best for each game. Then just save a profile that automatically loads with each game. While ATI's drivers may be a bit more user friendly in that regard, Nvidia has made strides and has more experience under their belts.

hey, I just wanted to update as more people have posted...
Crossfire splits the 16x between the 8 cards for 8x each
SLI splits the 16x lanes between the two cards too... except for the newer NF4 which has 32 lanes instead of 16 and thus 16 lanes per card. and as mentioned earlier there are already 2 manufactures who have the new chipset and there will be more shortly.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chim3ra
Yeah, a 7800GT punts 2 x850 XTPE's in Crossfire. From ATI's pre-release Crossfire benchies, I would have thought differently.

ATI tends to give total bullcrap information on most their cards pre-release official ATI benchmarks.

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalman2785
SLI vs. Crossfire doesn't mean anything. IMO it will come down to the individual cards. I think that the new approaches to rendering mass amounts of pixels/pixel operations will be a bigger factor than sli or crossfire. ATI is heading towards more pixel operations, while NVIDIA is focussed on pumping out a lot of pixels. Whichever one of these technilogies is better will be the better multi-card system in the future. The SLI / Crossfire technology is dependent on the graphics card. It could go either way.

Couldnt of said it better myself

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
There are 2 SLI boards out now that offer 16X on both slots.
You know what boards they are?

Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
No, because both Crossfire and SLi force the cards to run in x8 bandwidth (except with the new SLi32 chipset). Doesn't matter anyway, there's isn't much need for bandwidth. Two X1800XTs beat two 7800GTXs because one X1800XT beats one 7800GTX. You can't compare the technology directly because the variable of the card cannot be isolated.
Hmmm...ok, that makes sense. I'll have to point that out to the guy who I heard from.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok found these benchmarks off a couple sites generally about the same on both.
Single Card 3dmark05 score
X1800XT 9000
X1800XL 7018
GF 7800 GT 6556
GF 7800 GTX (256) 7669
GF 7800 GTX (512) 9200

Dual Card 3dmark05 score
X1800XT 12700
GF 7800 GT (couldn't find any)
GF 7800 GTX (256) 11600
GF 7800 GTX (512) 13000

Obviously NVIDIA's 7800 GTX 512mb comes out on top. But with only a 300 point difference I'd say just go with whatever you like. You'll never notice any difference.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

You know what boards they are?

Hmmm...ok, that makes sense. I'll have to point that out to the guy who I heard from.
MSI and ASUS

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2
Yeah, a 7800GT punts 2 x850 XTPE's in Crossfire. From ATI's pre-release Crossfire benchies, I would have thought differently.

ATI tends to give total bullcrap information on most their cards pre-release official ATI benchmarks.
If you're comparing SLI to Crossfire, you have to at least use roughly equivalent cards or the tests are meaningless. That's like taking 1 game (FarCry) and using the results as relevant. Here you can see that 2 X850XT in Crossfire clearly beat 2 7800gtx 256 cards in SLI at every resolution and setting. Are they a faster combo? Of course not, you have to make the tests meaningful or it tells you nothing.
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?o...tid=197&page=5
Btw, the poster that said the ASUS has 32X bandwidth is incorrect. You're reading into that incorrectly because of the model number. Both PCI Express slots are limited to 16X as are any single slots on any motherboard.

·
Registered
497 Posts
well I'm looking at building a new system and I haven't decided on whether to go w/ Crossfire or Sli. With somewhat of a budget, which is the best buy?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts