Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i keep hearing that running crossfire on a setup like mine with only x16 and x8 might be giving me negative performance?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the 4870 in the slot thats running at x8 and i know that an x8 slot shouldn't bottleneck the 4870 but i don't know how crossfire works out in all of this

I have one guy telling me its not optimal too run crossfire at x16/x8 and is frowned upon or something like that

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Not even a 5870 will saturate an 8x slot. You're fine.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
hell im running sli on x8/x8 and i Gained 2k to my gpu score on vantage, might have been from chaging from a Q6600 3.6ghz/750i FTW to a i7. unless your running a GTX 295 or a 5970 your not gona use up all the bandwith of a x8 pcie 2.0 slot can provide.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Should not be a problem, but as previously mentioned the 790FX is capable of x16/x16...is one of your slots not running at full speed?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kz26 View Post
Should not be a problem, but as previously mentioned the 790FX is capable of x16/x16...is one of your slots not running at full speed?
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherb...crossfire.html

Thanks for the input guys...i wasn't really sure if what the guy was going on about was something i should worry about or not

And BTW i knew that the card couldn't saturate the x8 slot but i wasn't sure how xfire played out in the equation...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtHop
View Post

Not even a 5870 will saturate an 8x slot. You're fine.

Actually i does, there is a definate rise in performace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts