Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all.

I'm having some trouble setting up RAID 0 on my Crosshair 2 with Win 7. I need to create a driver disk, yet when I download the file from ASUS, its merely a text file in the Windows 7 folder. Can't do much with a text file. Does anyone here have any suggestions? When I try to create a driver disk with the Vista 64 files, it tells me "unable to get disk information". No go there... So what do I do? Any suggestions are welcome.

here's the contents of the folder:

Here's what happens when I click on the AsusSetup application:

I appreciate ANY suggestions. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Are you planning on reformatting and reinstalling Windows 7 on a new RAID-0 array, or are you adding a RAID-0 array to an existing Windows 7 installation?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just trying to do whatever is easiest. I have Win 7 installed on a 500GB HDD right now. What would be the best course of action? I would like the RAID array to be the primary drive.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Oh. In that case, I'd backup data and reinstall on the array.

To get the RAID driver, I'd probably try downloading the chipset drivers from nVidia and then extracting the necessary files to a USB stick, and then using the USB disk during the initial Windows 7 installation.

I just checked the file from nvidia, it looks like it's got the necessary inf files for RAID controller. Probably give that a shot. You can extract the exe archive using WinRAR or some other archive utility.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you happen to have a link to the nVidia chipset drivers? I cannot seem to locate them on nVidia's site, it keeps sending me back to their graphics drivers page.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: RunsCool

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are awesome. Got everything up and running. here's my HD Tune results:

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Good to hear.

Hope you're satisfied with the performance (for now
)

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Just a heads up - apparently the nVidia nForce controller isn't all that hot / great when it comes to RAID. Just a poor implementation of the chip, I suppose. I personally can't tell you since I don't have any nVidia-based systems. But that seems to be the general consensus here on OCN from some of the other threads I've come across.

Worst case, if you don't feel like upgrading the whole system yet, you can always find a dedicated RAID controller to use....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm. I am pretty happy with the results. It was a definite improvement. How much more performance could I really squeeze out of these drives?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Personally.... I have no idea. I think your results look on par with with the rest of the 2-drive RAID-0 setups... Heh, you could look through that massively long thread of HDTune 2.55 Benchmarks and compare.

Was just giving you a heads up in case somebody else came along and gave you a hard time about your nForce controller
But hey, if you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. I know my RAID-0 isn't the fastest, but I never shut my system off...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts