Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to search for this monitor online and weirdly I found few hits... VERY few hits~ Maybe because this is a new monitor? I'm not sure.

I've been looking to upgrade my old 3x21" monitors eyefinity setup to a 27"+ monitor and a bigger resolution is what I was aiming for. However, the prices I saw on these 2560x1600 monitors were mind boggling. I could afford 1 monitor but I can't see myself going back to 1 monitor after experiencing eyefinity. Lately I thought why wouldn't I search ebay? and I found a 650$ 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I was actually surprised to see this price, doing some research I realized its of a lower quality so I understood the risks I would be having getting this. After reviewing some comments and feedbacks I decided to get 3 of them. (There were only 3 pieces left for that price so I rushed my researches... lol). After ordering them online by a day I found out about these 27" 2560x1440 Yamakasi/Achevian/Catleap monitors for even half the price, around 350$ for one? I'm not very sure, but considering the 3" difference, the 16:10 extra resolution and the monitor build/stand, it didn't matter to me.

2 weeks later I finally got my monitors but I did a small mistake. I thought my active mdp to dvi converter that I already had would work, but it did not. So I ran 2 monitors of my 2x HD6990 from the DVI out port and ordered 2 mdp to dual link dvi converters. A week later I got them and now running all 3 monitors of 1 card and the second is set to crossfireX.

Problems I got until now:

- Monitor will not show anything in BIOS and will only work when OS starts. (Problem went away by its own).

- AMD CCC will tell me that a displayport linked monitor failed (quite often), I thought its a power problem, so I connect my 3 monitors to another wall power socket and left my "1500W" PC connected to the main wall socket but that made one of my monitors now to flicker (switches off for 5 seconds then turn on for 2 seconds and display picture for about 1/20th of a second and turns off again), it was weird, so I changed that specific monitor power connector back to the main wall power socket and problem went away.

- 1 of the monitors did not have a power switch on it so I cannot switch it off.

- 1 of the monitors has the power lid removed from it (that area of the monitor looks like it got hit from shipping?) but a minor hit...

- Dead pixels on all monitors but I don't think they go beyond 10 on each screen (you can't really notice them setting at a good distance)

I did a small review of my desk and rig talking very briefly of the monitors however I'll probably add pictures and talk more in detail about my monitors.
Here is the link to my review:

And here are some of the monitor commercial posters:

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Are they glossy (reflective) or matte?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba View Post

Are they glossy (reflective) or matte?
I'm not very certain as I am @ work right now, but I think they're matte because I don't recall them being reflective at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just received mine. Took 3 days to NY Metro from Korea.

Monitor looks good and tested OK. Didn't have much time to look at it.
The back plate is heavy duty metal so it weighs about a metric ton
smile.gif

They all seem to use "Welltronics" 24V/5A power bricks. Mine got very hot in the
few minutes I had to test it. Hope it won't be a problem.

No user manual.

Monitor has no provision for on-screen menu it seems, 3 buttons: power and 2 for arrows, up and down.
No "menu" button - so I am not sure what the purpose of the arrow buttons is. I played with settings in the
Catalyst Control Center, to adjust color temp, brightness and contrast.

Will post more as I have more time to look at it. Feelings are mixed so far. Some patience on Craigslist
should get you a nice 3007/3008 or may be older Apple Cinema Display for $450 - $500 ...

About a year ago I bought the Catleap/Yamakasi 27" incher for $350 delivered - it's been flawless and served me well,
so I guess my expectations were high. Nowadays, one can get same 27" WQHD (Auria) at Microcenter, $400 - _with_
Display Port ... so the value proposition is no longer there.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk11 View Post

Just received mine. Took 3 days to NY Metro from Korea.
Monitor looks good and tested OK. Didn't have much time to look at it.
The back plate is heavy duty metal so it weighs about a metric ton
smile.gif

They all seem to use "Welltronics" 24V/5A power bricks. Mine got very hot in the
few minutes I had to test it. Hope it won't be a problem.
No user manual.
Monitor has no provision for on-screen menu it seems, 3 buttons: power and 2 for arrows, up and down.
No "menu" button - so I am not sure what the purpose of the arrow buttons is. I played with settings in the
Catalyst Control Center, to adjust color temp, brightness and contrast.
Will post more as I have more time to look at it. Feelings are mixed so far. Some patience on Craigslist
should get you a nice 3007/3008 or may be older Apple Cinema Display for $450 - $500 ...
About a year ago I bought the Catleap/Yamakasi 27" incher for $350 delivered - it's been flawless and served me well,
so I guess my expectations were high. Nowadays, one can get same 27" WQHD (Auria) at Microcenter, $400 - _with_
Display Port ... so the value proposition is no longer there.
Except the Auria from microcenter has considerable input lag

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, 2 days later:

- screen is very very matte. 0 reflection.
- color and viewing angles are nice

I am a 2D person, don't really game so I can not say anything about input lag. I ended up using the Auria's 24V PS (it is rated @ 6A, instead of "Welltronics" 5A) to power it up and use Welltronics with Auria. Still running rather hot, but better than before.

It is $540 delivered to USA. Plus customs
smile.gif

I am OK with it, but used Dell or Apple 30" on Craiglist is probably a better deal, assuming you can find/test one.

If the delivered price were around $450, the deal would be so much sweeter.

Of course, for a gamer, mileage may very, especially if this one has low lag.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonn24 View Post

im thinking about buying one of these is it worth it or are they not very good monitors?
If you are willing to pay the price for monitor lasting 1 year and week then it's worth it
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonn24 View Post

im thinking about buying one of these is it worth it or are they not very good monitors?
Not really. The price of the 30" monitors is such that you might as well get a dell u3011 instead and get better quality, better panel, better warranty, better monitor and better support for maybe 10% more. The only reason that makes the Korean 27inchers so appealing is because you save maybe half the price of the monitor.

Layo seems a little bitter, and his contention that your monitor will only last a year and a week is unfounded. That being said, don't expect this monitor to work as well or as long as a dell ultrasharp.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

Are you talking about this multi input?
Or this multi input?
Or this one?
Only one of the four models they sell is multi input.
Sorry didn't know it said Single Input there.

I guess the A grade Overlord models are probably better.

However I read somewhere that the Overlord monitors have more input lag than the Korean models. However I can't find a direct source.

1 - 20 of 357 Posts