Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been using my sig rig for about a month now, and i did an AS SSD bench on my Boot drive which has 20 GB left.

Just thought, what would be the speeds of a RAID 0 array of these babies?

Also, this is my RAID 0 array with Samsung f4s that are just so cheap and perform so well, better than many that are far more expensive.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
When I bought mine I got the impression to not use them with RAID. Reason being that you lose TRIM and crucial doesn't have any of their own software to aid in keeping everything snappy as compared to the other competitors. So without TRIM they just go to crap.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razultull
View Post

So i've been using my sig rig for about a month now, and i did an AS SSD bench on my Boot drive which has 20 GB left.

Just thought, what would be the speeds of a RAID 0 array of these babies?

Well you should see around 1.9x or so scaling on the Sequential numbers, and random writes will probably be a bit higher, random reads will suffer a small amount.

although I've heard that Marvell's 912x SATA controllers are junk in RAID.

Personally I would use a second drive as a separate drive... but that's just because I'm not a big fan of RAID

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDreadedGMan View Post
Well you should see around 1.9x or so scaling on the Sequential numbers, and random writes will probably be a bit higher, random reads will suffer a small amount.

although I've heard that Marvell's 912x SATA controllers are junk in RAID.

Personally I would use a second drive as a separate drive... but that's just because I'm not a big fan of RAID
Why's that? I have found my RAID array to be anything but cumbersome.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
"When I bought mine I got the impression to not use them with RAID. Reason being that you lose TRIM and crucial doesn't have any of their own software to aid in keeping everything snappy as compared to the other competitors. So without TRIM they just go to crap."

No hes saying the marvel controller int supposed to run raid 0 with 2 SSDs. Gigabyte put up a notice on their website, and so on. honestly are you running marvell controller???? YES YOU ARE, YOU HAVE NO TRIM, YOU DONT SEE A SLOW DOWN, CORRECT?? well thats why the first guy said RAID no go, b/c you lose trim, what people do not understand is that we do not have trim to begin with on the Marvel 91XX controller's firmware is far from supporting it. Id say go for it, you're speeds basically double, but 4k is only a little faster if not the same. Id do it you should feel it be faster, but if your going to do it, you HAVE to buy a separate SATA3 RAID card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts