1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
• SATAIII controller integrated in Intel® P67 (B3) & Marvell SE9128 chipsets
- Up to 6Gb/s transfer speed.
- Supports two SATAIII ports (SATA1~2) by P67 (B3) PCH
- Supports two SATAIII ports (SATA7~8) by Marvell SE9128

There's your info. Sata 1&2 are native ports and will give you best performance. From the pics I can, they look like the two white ports closest to the bottom of the board.

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Definitely use the chipset (intel) ports and not the add on marvel controller.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 1TB 7200rpm drive is plugged in to the Sata 7or8 which is at bottom. here are speed results.

how much of an increase will I see switching to Sata 1 or 2

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think his question is answered, not to derail.. but If the only sata 6.0 connections my mobo has are Marvell than my speeds are capped lower?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedart View Post

I think his question is answered, not to derail.. but If the only sata 6.0 connections my mobo has are Marvell than my speeds are capped lower?
It was answered but I had developed another one in the process.
I hope for your sake it's not. That would be an unfixable problem.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I just picked up the 256 M4, should be here tommorow acually. I hadnt heard about the controller differances. Guess I need to do some research of my own.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
The Marvel controllers are quite bad, especially for SSD's. They don't have TRIM, they have higher latency, and much lower bandwidth. You'd be okay using the Marvel ports for regular HDD's or other drives if it really came down to it, but not SSD's. You'd be much better off using the native Sata 2.0 ports than the marvel 3.0 ports in almost all scenarios.

·
Registered
786 Posts
interesting. one more week of class then I'll be breaking down my sig rig. I'll have to check out the differances. That sucks.. I'm holding out for Haswell. Just need to make it till next year!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UprootedSeeker View Post

My 1TB 7200rpm drive is plugged in to the Sata 7or8 which is at bottom. here are speed results.
how much of an increase will I see switching to Sata 1 or 2
you won't see any difference, Hard drives are slow from the beginning to even fill SATA 2 speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedart View Post

I just picked up the 256 M4, should be here tommorow acually. I hadnt heard about the controller differances. Guess I need to do some research of my own.
You won't get the full speeds on your motherboard, it doesn't support native SATA 3 6Gb/s by intel.
I'd suggest you try both the Marvell SATA 3 and Intel SATA 2 and see which gives best results. I have X58 System and I plugged my SSD in the Intel SATA 2 which gave better results than the Marvell's SATA 3 6Gb/s

OP Crucial M4 has the best reliability in the SSD Market along with some other drives, great choice, Good luck
thumb.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts