Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a new SSD to replace what I have and looking at NewEgg, I see 3 different Crucial M4's.

The 3 of them have different part numbers:
-CT128M4SSD2
-CT128M4SSD2BAA
-CT128M4SSD1

Is there a reason for this? Also, would the M4 or Corsair Performance Pro be the better choice? I don't want a sandforce drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,501 Posts
If you look under the details section, the one labeled CT128M4SSD2BAA says it includes a 3.5" bracket. The others don't specifically say whether or not they do, and the weight is slightly different. I think that is again due to the bracket. That's the only difference I'm seeing right now.

Also, I think the performance pro beats the M4 slightly in benchmarks, but the general consensus seems to be that the difference is negligible in real world performance. Also, the M4 has a more proven track record than the performance pro. I'm most likely going to be picking up an M4 next month
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering because I saw a thread about Crucial M4's coming with BSoD's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,599 Posts
SSD1 is the 7mm version, while SSD2 is the 9.5mm. The SSD2BAA is just the 9.5mm one but with an adapter bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyworks View Post

I'm wondering because I saw a thread about Crucial M4's coming with BSoD's.
That was an issue some drives were having after about 5000 hours of use. They've already released a patch fixing that issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Thanks!
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,599 Posts
The 7mm will have less height than the 9.5mm. It'll just be (negligibly) lighter and probably an easier fit in slim notebooks.

The other one is just the 9.5mm one but it comes with an adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Decidied to use this thread instead of starting the same topic.

I've been looking at all the Crucial M4 for a bit, and I understand the differences discussed here.

The models "SSD1" and "SSD2" are 7mm and 9mm, respectively.
Those with that at the end of the model number come bare.
Ending with "CCA" comes with a transfer cable,
and ending with "BAA" comes with a 3.5 to 2.5 bracket adapter.

I still see two different M4 drives on Newegg.
Could anyone explain the difference between these two, aside from the accessory?

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2CCA

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2BAA

I see different read/write speeds advertised.
The images also look a slightly different shade to me.
(I guess it could just be different lighting when photographing or something...)

The thing that caught my attention was in the features.
I realize they could just include different details (or not),
but are all Crucial M4 SSD made with synchronous NAND...!?!?
This I didn't realize...

Thanks for any help.
smile.gif
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezard View Post

Decidied to use this thread instead of starting the same topic.

I've been looking at all the Crucial M4 for a bit, and I understand the differences discussed here.

The models "SSD1" and "SSD2" are 7mm and 9mm, respectively.
Those with that at the end of the model number come bare.
Ending with "CCA" comes with a transfer cable,
and ending with "BAA" comes with a 3.5 to 2.5 bracket adapter.

I still see two different M4 drives on Newegg.
Could anyone explain the difference between these two, aside from the accessory?

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2CCA

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2BAA

I see different read/write speeds advertised.
The images also look a slightly different shade to me.
(I guess it could just be different lighting when photographing or something...)

The thing that caught my attention was in the features.
I realize they could just include different details (or not),
but are all Crucial M4 SSD made with synchronous NAND...!?!?
This I didn't realize...

Thanks for any help.
smile.gif
The SSDs are the same lol. The first comes with a useless transfer kit and the second is just the bracket included, which you can get for $5 if you even want it.

Grab this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

$80, just the drive.
wink.gif
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Rezard

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

The SSDs are the same lol. The first comes with a useless transfer kit and the second is just the bracket included, which you can get for $5 if you even want it.
Grab this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441
Cool.
Now that I know I'm not buying the asychronous version by mistake or somethin'. lol
smile.gif


I'm still on the fence about grabbing it right now.
It's not like I'm having a problem with my Force GT, but I've been thinking of just using a secondary SSD for extra space instead of a second GT in RAID 0. I don't think I really need such a massive sequential, anyway. Plus-- A chance to check out a different SSD, with comparable speeds and acclaimed reliability. Might just be better as my OS drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

$80, just the drive.
wink.gif
Yeah, that'd be the deal.
I got a $20 gift card for Newegg, so $60 for a 64GB is looking reeeeeal tempting right now.
biggrin.gif


Thanks, Sean.
happysmiley.gif
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
Yea, I have a plextor M3S as well in my system and I'm about to re-install on it and see how it compares to my M4 soon.
biggrin.gif


I am tempted to get a Sandforce drive for a cheap storage SSD right now, i'm just waiting for a good deal XD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Oh, jeez...!
Don't even tell me how much better that is than the Crucial M4 I just ordered.
doh.gif
XD
Nah-- the price was right on the M4, in my case.
smile.gif


Those Plextor M3 do look to be a real competitor, though.
I saw the benchmarks of yours, and just took a good look at it's details.
Synchronous NAND with toggle mode support and DDR3 DRAM cache sounds spiffy!
thumb.gif
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezard View Post

Oh, jeez...!
Don't even tell me how much better that is than the Crucial M4 I just ordered.
doh.gif
XD
Nah-- the price was right on the M4, in my case.
smile.gif


Those Plextor M3 do look to be a real competitor, though.
I saw the benchmarks of yours, and just took a good look at it's details.
Synchronous NAND with toggle mode support and DDR3 DRAM cache sounds spiffy!
thumb.gif
Yea I got my 128GB M3S for $90 though.
tongue.gif


Honestly I don't think I will notice a difference at all. The Plextor has a little less latency due to the Toggle NAND and on average 10MB faster seq. writes lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Yea I got my 128GB M3S for $90 though.
tongue.gif
... Yea, well you suck. lol (j/k
smile.gif
)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Honestly I don't think I will notice a difference at all. The Plextor has a little less latency due to the Toggle NAND and on average 10MB faster seq. writes lol.
Yeah-- the extra sequential speeds aren't too exciting to me.
I like the sound of lower latencies, though.
For what you could actually see of them at that point is another story. lol

Really, though-- $90 for a 128GB...!?!?
Must have been some sale...
... Microcenter, or something...?
Cheapest 128GB on Newegg I see is a "meh" OCZ Petrol for $130.
I have a hard time imagining even that on sale there for $90...
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezard View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Yea I got my 128GB M3S for $90 though.
tongue.gif
... Yea, well you suck. lol (j/k
smile.gif
)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Honestly I don't think I will notice a difference at all. The Plextor has a little less latency due to the Toggle NAND and on average 10MB faster seq. writes lol.
Yeah-- the extra sequential speeds aren't too exciting to me.
I like the sound of lower latencies, though.
For what you could actually see of them at that point is another story. lol

Really, though-- $90 for a 128GB...!?!?
Must have been some sale...
... Microcenter, or something...?
Cheapest 128GB on Newegg I see is a "meh" OCZ Petrol for $130.
I have a hard time imagining even that on sale there for $90...
It was a combo of things, $155 on newegg + $40 off coupon + 15 $ paypal gift from someone, so out of pocket $90 lol.

And those latencies...shouldn't be noticeable.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top