Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my older computer has 2 gb, 2x1gb. When I go to computer/properties, it says I have 1.75gb ram which is right.

But when I use crucial it takes ages, then says I only have 1gb stick, whereas on the computer it still says I have two.

Why is crucial getting it wrong?

How do I know which is ram port 1 or 2?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Your motherboard's Owners Manual will identify the slots. It will also tell you which slots (ports?) to put your sticks into. If you don't have a manual you can download a copy from the motherboard manufacturers website.

I don't know what you mean by "when I use crucial". What is crucial? Can you post a link to what you're using?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have my ram sticks in the correct place because this is how the computer came.

So if I download the manual it will tell me what to look for when purchasing new Rams?

The website scans your system and tells you which ram you will need. Maybe crucial isn't that reliable if it's saying I only have 1 ram connected when I actually have two Rams connected. The site is www.uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearchitect1 View Post

Well I have my ram sticks in the correct place because this is how the computer came.

So if I download the manual it will tell me what to look for when purchasing new Rams?

The website scans your system and tells you which ram you will need. Maybe crucial isn't that reliable if it's saying I only have 1 ram connected when I actually have two Rams connected. The site is www.uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner
Just a nitpick here - I have no idea why people say Rams, I also have no idea why it annoys me so much. RAM or RAM Sticks, not RAMs, please.

Secondly. A Link to or more information on the computer you're scanning please?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearchitect1 View Post

So you just assume whomever installed the sticks did so correctly?

Many motherboard manufacturers will list (on their websites) memory they have tested with a particular motherboard. That won't be all the memory that will work, just what they tested...

www.uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner

Use the "advisor tool"

Why are you replacing your memory?
What motherboard, memory and CPU do you have now?

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
2,240 Posts
Scan tool linked from the system advisor scans my system just fine.
Something you want to be sure of is the seating of the memory. I have seen 4.00GB Memory installed, but only 1.7GB usable on my system before, due to improper seating.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
I am guessing it is just a detection issue.

I mean if you see 2 sticks, well yeah you have 2 sticks(assuming the right capacity shows up and they are fully seated.).

And for something interesting, It DOES see that I only have 2 slots on this system and that I have 2 x the max "supported" memory.

It is also interesting that it does not see my primary storage drive(guess it picks whatever is the largest.).

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
The crucial scanner seems to do much better with prebuilt Dells and HPs and the like. It's not a perfect tool, but it is pretty good. It may run into trouble on custom setups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts