Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are CPU limited and are tired of the low performance in Crysis 3, you may want to check out this video. If you are GPU capped, then you likely won't see any benefit. My results were a 27% FPS increase on a 4945MHz i7 3770K with Tri-Sli GTX 680's. GPU's still had room to go so even 2-card SLI setups should get the same result.

Video:
App Required:

Timer.zip 7k .zip file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiumone View Post

Umm... its password protected.
God I am bad at this. I'll get in trouble for posting the pass here so I'll upload a file without a pass requirement. Lol. Sec...

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Watched your vid and while I don't have C3, is this something that may work with other games? Seems very interesting!
thumb.gif

Edit: Get it from here: http://www.lucashale.com/timerresolution/TimerResolution.zip

Don't know why the OP doesn't embed the vid and makes us go to that forum... seems weird. That's the original source of the app.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko1 View Post

Watched your vid and while I don't have C3, is this something that may work with other games? Seems very interesting!
thumb.gif
I use it for some games. Almost none have had this much of an effect. Because most games aren't so horrible with CPU utilization. I initially used that along with disabling HPET to reduce microstutter from SLI setups.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Doesn't help me, even lowers my frame-rate by ~5%.

But that could be b/c my CPU is already being 100% used?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Just tried it with Sleeping Dogs and no effect... I think it lowered my fps by 8 instead.
tongue.gif

That HPET thing you mentioned is very interesting and am testing it while forced on now and also forcing it off.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

Doesn't help me, even lowers my frame-rate by ~5%.

But that could be b/c my CPU is already being 100% used?
Yes that's very possible. Mine still had another 15% room to go. Perhaps it is more beneficial for newer/higher clocked CPU's only? We'll know after we get more samples.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko1 View Post

Just tried it with Sleeping Dogs and no effect... I think it lowered my fps by 8 instead.
tongue.gif

That HPET thing you mentioned is very interesting and am testing it while forced on now and also forcing it off.
smile.gif
Yeah as has been my experience some games will give more FPS in certain areas and less in others. For example Planetside gives me 15%-20% more at the main screen and possibly the menu, but 1-3% lower in-game. Did you get a chance to try it with Crysis 3 to see if it works for you there?

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I just bought crysis 3. Will let you know in 10 hours when its downloaded
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Is there a way to just force windows to run at this setting instead of opening this application manually all the time?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason387 View Post

Will this help me considering my specs?
I think this is mostly going to be helpful to people with higher-end/higher clocked cpu's. Your CPU and GPU are likely both working to their max trying to keep up right now so you likely wouldn't see an improvement. Considering it's just a one-click no-installation program, can never hurt to try.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Didn't work for me in the sig rig. My cpu is only loaded up to about 50%, but my video cards at 98-99%. I guess I'm video limited.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMatrix View Post

Edit: Added changes to main thread. It's 5:32am. Cut me some slack. I make mistakes.
tongue.gif
ugh... my 2 yr old fell asleep at 7pm and woke up at 4am. I feel ya.

Am I considered CPU limited?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterik01 View Post

ugh... my 2 yr old fell asleep at 7pm and woke up at 4am. I feel ya.

Am I considered CPU limited?
Best way to guesstimate whether this is going to help you or not is to look at your GPU and CPU usage while gaming. If your GPU is at 100%, then nothing else matters. You'll have to lower graphics settings to improve FPS. If your GPU isn't at 100%, but your CPU is already at 100%, you likely won't see an increase either.

But if your GPU isn't quite maxed out yet, and your CPU still has a little room to go, then this could likely help you out.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts