Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just downloaded Crysis 3 thinking i would be able to run it.... but no. 13 FPS with a mix of high and very high settings. Whats going on here? Does this game not support Crossfire, is something wrong with my PC, or does this game just need better hardware to run?
EDIT: I am seeing around 70% CPU ussage and around 85-90% on the GPUs

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,745 Posts
Well to clarify, if you turn down the visuals fo your frames jump tremendously? Also, what is your gpu usage when playing as well as temperatures? On top of that, what resolution are you playing on?

Even my overclocked 7970GE struggles @ 1080p w/ higher settings in some areas.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am playing at 1080p. I've lowered settings to mix of medium and high now, getting like 100 fps in some areas, but then it still drops occasionally to like 40-50.

·
Registered
656 Posts
yea my 7950 overclocked struggles as well in some areas everything max, motion blur off and aa set to 1x v sync off as well. i want to max the game too but i cant lol. and here i am wanting to buy another two panels for eyefinity.. think ill need another card atleast and even then ill have to drop my settings SIGNIFICANTLY.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap View Post

I am playing at 1080p. I've lowered settings to mix of medium and high now, getting like 100 fps in some areas, but then it still drops occasionally to like 40-50.
As to be expected. Those fps are exactly where a setup like yours would fall, no issues as far as I can tell. Dropping occasionally to 40 on a mix of med-high with that setup is very normal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:

are they 2 gb cards? and do you have any AA at all applied? I have seen the game use over 2 gbs plenty of times which would result in a huge drop in FPS and even stuttering, especially if you are using msaa or anything like that the ram usage almost doubles.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Crysis 3 runs really well considering how good it looks. I mean it's the only current gen game so far that looks kinda close to CGI. With my 670 I get around 45-70 fps as average, and getting a minimum of about low 40's from time to time, with the absolute lowest I've gone being about 38 fps or so (at one part in the first level). And that's with everything on Very High except Shading on High. Very good performance in my oppinion.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Cevat is most pleased.
devil-smiley-019.gif

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftedx View Post

are they 2 gb cards? and do you have any AA at all applied? I have seen the game use over 2 gbs plenty of times which would result in a huge drop in FPS and even stuttering, especially if you are using msaa or anything like that the ram usage almost doubles.
Yea they are 2GB cards. Disabling AA helped a bit.

Also, i restarted my PC and the game got a lot smoother. Somehow..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:

Yea they are 2GB cards. Disabling AA helped a bit.

Also, i restarted my PC and the game got a lot smoother. Somehow..
I used to have the same cards as you and with games that use a lot of AA I would get extremely random frame rate drops all the time, I learned to basically just set it to FXAA in every game, FXAA at 1080p with crysis 3 should sit around 1400mb-1800mb depending on the level so you could possibly even tweak it more to your liking.
thumb.gif

You should use MSI afterburner to monitor Vram usage and make sure you don't hit that limit because it will cause the game to run horribly even though the cards are more than capable of running the game at high settings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As of now Crysis 3 suffers from under-optimization issues that both EA and Crytek are aware of. As per public discussion in their official channel they're expected to release a fix--a patch, hopefully soon. Main problem is that in case of dual configuration (mostly affected are nVdia 600 series cards) GPU utilization ranges between 40-60% and never goes beyond, not even in case of heavy loaded scenes. There are a few ways (tips and tricks) in which depending on the user's configuration and settings (in and off game) it's possible to max out the game, lock fps to 60 and have an overall smooth and stutter free experience. It seems that mostly nVdia users are suffering from under-performance and stutter issues, while AMD users are in general enjoying the game without much trouble.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:

Maybe your card/s are running out of vram with the game settings being cranked up to almost or max, just a guess tho. I still have to play crysis 3 but at 5760x1080p and only 6870cf and 1gb vram I have doubts
frown.gif
Also with the 6000 series there are multiple microstuttering issues in cf I can refer to this since I own them.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, you're right. there is some microstuttering. This is making me just want to upgrade to a gtx680 :/

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am getting bad performance as well, but the weird thing is that I get the same fps on high as I do on very high in certain areas I have tried capping the framerate at 45 which is my normal avg fps in most areas of the game but get terrible stutter in some areas still

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure you will update you're AMD GPU driver to the newest version possible (probrably a crysis 3 performance boost is included. You also should overclock your GPU memory to the max.
i can run crysis 3 on medium settings without AA (anti aliasing enabled) I use a XFX HD6970 graphics card. When i change my settings to a higher value i only get 13/20 FPS which makes the game unplayable.
The rest of my system setup is as following:

CPU ; INTEL CORE I7 2600K 3,4-4,0 GHz
GPU : XFX AMD HD6970
MAINBOARD: GIGABYTE P67
RAM: Kingston hyper x 1333MHz (8GB)

I think that if I overclock my system i will be able to play crysis 3 on high settings, but I love the graphics when i play it on medium settings so there is no need for me to overclock my system.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had to underclock my GPU... i was having tons of crashing issues and read while searching that the solution was to underclock below stock settings... that actually worked. No more crashing.
I've also got a 7950 on the way now. Hopefully that increases performance a bit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts